JOB TITLE: Development Researcher
REPORTS TO: Associate Director of Development
JOB OBJECTIVE: Manage research systems that identify sources of private support for fundraising projects and programs at NOLS. Distribute information to development staff for the purpose of new donor engagement. Track and maintain cultivation systems for prospective and current donors to all NOLS fundraising campaigns (NOLS Fund, capital campaigns, planned giving, and endowment). Work closely with development staff to prioritize outreach and maximize efficiency of donor engagement.
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience. New graduates and those seeking a career change are encouraged to apply. Aptitude creating and implementing administrative systems and solutions. Experience with internet-based research. Understanding and/or interest in business trends, financial markets, and philanthropy. Proficiency with Google Suite and Microsoft Suite of applications is strongly desired. Strong communication skills and the ability to work closely with a team; attention to detail; and follow-through. Familiarity with donor tracking software, specifically Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge desired. No prior experience in development and fundraising is required.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Serves as the point person for identifying and tracking all cultivation of current and prospective donors. Maintains a high level of confidentiality of all current and prospective donors, alumni, students, staff, and volunteer records. Works closely with development team to maintain and advance relationships with existing donors as well as grow the roster of prospective donors.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for upkeep of donor-related files and information.
70% - Donor and Prospective Donor Research
- Utilize technology and research strategies to identify prospective major donors within the school’s growing ranks of alumni. Use tools to assess current participants (25,000+ annually) and past graduates (300,000+) for donative potential.
- Manage and develop systems that allow development staff to take action on prospective donors identified through research.
- Conduct focused research on prospective donors with a high likelihood to contribute to NOLS. Gather and evaluate data from internal, corporate, foundation, government, electronic, and printed sources. Analyze and synthesize appropriate information into profiles and assess prospects' giving capacity and philanthropic tendencies.
- Prepare profiles and briefs for NOLS trustees, Advisory Council members, the executive director, and other members of the Development team.
- Review a regular list of prospects for philanthropic activity and make development officers aware of assigned prospect and donor activity.
10% - Financial Analysis
- Create and maintain systems to track and report all campaign donor and gift information.
10% - Donor and Prospect Cultivation and Stewardship
- Assist Development team and volunteers in geographical research by querying prospect pools and providing donor information.
- Assist in donor stewardship through personalized written thank-you letters and phone calls.
10% - Assist with other projects as assigned.
Duties and responsibilities may change at any time.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS World Headquarters in Lander, Wyoming.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Judd Rogers.
Email Judd Rogers with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: June 15, 2019.
STARTING DATE: ASAP.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.