JOB TITLE: Development Annual Field Faculty Position
REPORTS TO: Field Faculty Development Lead
- Provide intensive early-career work to newer instructors to support their development.
- Retain promising instructors.
- Help the Field Staffing Office meet peak summer staffing needs.
JOB OBJECTIVE: This one-year position is intended to support newer instructors’ assessment and development goals.
- Must be a current field instructor for NOLS; this position is designed for current I and PL-level instructors.
- Through IC evaluation and/or course SPEs, show high potential to provide exceptional student experiences and effectively supervise other instructors.
- Have a flexible schedule and full availability during the boreal summer season.
- Be willing to work courses chosen by the Field Staffing Office.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Manage, in conjunction with the program manager, a food budget of around $16,500.
- Be open to feedback and coaching from co-instructors and from mentors in the Field Instructor Development Department.
- Participate in a formalized Course Leader Training Seminar.
- This is a learning position. Development AFP instructors will be expected to aid courses for which they are not assessed as a component of the training progression. This position provides for instructor-level pay for these skill development courses.
PAY AND BENEFITS:
- Pay is the same as current field staff for work agreements.
- Group health insurance. Insurance premium will be based on a 3/4-time in-town position equivalent to 25 weeks.
- $1500 towards internal or external training tuition, personal trips/expeditions, PL pay for training days with a paid NOLS CL (up to 10 days), and/or outdoor gear that is necessary for skill development. Development AFP instructors must get approval in advance from the Field Faculty Development Lead for use of these funds.
- Eligible for the NOLS retirement plan.
- Long-term disability insurance.
- Eligible for group-term life insurance.
- The Field Faculty Development Department (FFDD) will select field staff and guarantee a minimum of 25 weeks (subject to “AT WILL” employment status). The FFDD will work with the Field Staffing Office (FSO) to select a progression of courses that complements individuals’ desired development goals (as indicated on the program application). Current open positions will start in the FY22 boreal Winter/Spring season.
- In most cases, faculty work will be limited to 1- 3 locations total to enhance consistency of supervision and efficiency.
- Actual work offers are offered at the same time as other field staff and paid on a contract-by-contract basis.
- Program supervisors at locations and mentors in the Field Instructor Development Department will provide direct supervision, and the Field Faculty Development Lead will be responsible for overall coordination of field work and training.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: TBD, typically 1-3 NOLS Locations per year.
COVID POLICY: All employees who are not working remotely and who have regular contact with other employees or students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they meet a medical, disability or religion exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved. Any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) is an acceptable vaccine for the purpose of this policy. Full vaccination or an approved exemption is a condition of employment for all new employees as applicable.
HOW TO APPLY: Please fill out the Application for CL Development AFP on IkoWapi.
Contact: email@example.com with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: October 8, 2021
STARTING DATE: January-March, 2022
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.