JOB TITLE: Custom Education Business and Finance Manager
REPORTS TO: Custom Education Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: Primarily responsible for the processing, recording, and maintenance of NOLS Custom Education accounting systems. The NOLS Custom Education Business and Finance Manager provides financial services for the NOLS Custom Education Director, account managers, and account associates. Monitors NOLS Custom Education financial systems for reliability and accuracy and integrates these systems with school-wide financial systems. The Business and Finance Manager also supports the Director with oversight of financial and program metrics.
- Strong working knowledge of accounting systems.
- Strong organizational, communication and analytical skills.
- Highly developed critical thinking and judgment.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team/group setting.
- Excellent customer service skills both over the phone and via email.
- Experience with spreadsheet applications and computerized accounting software.
- Experience with word processing applications.
- Initiative, flexibility, and tolerance for adversity and uncertainty.
- Experience using technology to improve business efficiency.
- Competency with data tracking systems.
- Intermediate proficiency with Excel.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Primarily responsible for the accuracy of all Custom Education accounting systems. The Business and Finance Manager must understand and apply the business rules associated with multiple types of client relationships, staffing policies, and admissions policies. This position serves as the final audit for all financial transactions with clients, staff, and students.
Provides information to admissions, program, and staffing personnel regarding errors and omissions in their work that affect account accuracy.
Works with the NOLS Custom Education Director in planning and initiating NOLS Custom Education accounting system improvements and maintaining internal control in NOLS Custom Education accounting processes. Works internally with NOLS Custom Education management and NOLS finance staff. Maintains finance aspects of relationships with clients.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for the accurate recording and reporting of all NOLS Custom Education course related transactions (projected to be $3 million in FY22). Independently responsible for creating and issuing invoices of both accounts receivable and accounts payable. Supervises instructor payroll submissions for California-based courses. Monitor all NOLS Custom Education financial accounts for accuracy.
50% Manages and Audits Departmental Finances
- Understand and apply business rules associated with multiple client types and pricing models while maintaining integrity of accounts within the NOLS Custom Education financial system.
- Reviews and verifies all individual course transactions to include: final enrollment numbers; student tuition; sponsor tuition; internal money transfers; staff expenses; and other sources of expense or revenue associated with a course.
- Maintains database integrity for all financial entries into the Custom Education databases, including transactions related to students, clients, and internal money transfers.
- Works with department staff on using and maintaining proper accounting and documentation. Provides critical information for department-wide quality improvement.
- Pulls data, analysis, interpretation and reporting to support team decision-making.
- Assists director in budget building.
30% Account Reconciliation and Invoicing
- Prepares and/or reviews final invoices to clients.
- Invoices utilizing NOLS Custom Education databases as well as other required online payment platforms.
- Accepts, records, and disburses payments to appropriate courses and accounts via credit cards, electronic transfers, checks, and a variety of government payment sources.
- Prepares course invoices and submits payments to include: final enrollment numbers; student fees; internal money transfers; alternative funding received; and other sources of expense or revenue associated with a course.
- Creates and verifies accurate reporting on monthly and end of year financial metrics as defined by the NOLS Finance office.
10% Financial Systems Development and Maintenance
- Revise forms, review and initiate accounting systems and internal controls, document policy and procedures for all aspects of NOLS Custom Education finances.
- Works with Custom Education Director and software developer to maintain, update, and (likely) develop reporting systems in order to remain accurate.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Headquarters in Lander, Wyoming. Remote work, including working at NOLS campuses outside the U.S., will be considered on a case-by-case basis. For the U.S., you must live in one of the following States: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New Mexico, New York, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to: Sydney Hartsock, Acting Director, NOLS Custom Education
Contact: Sydney Harsock with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with priority given to those submitted by Friday, June 4, 2021.
STARTING DATE: As soon as possible.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting thislink.