JOB TITLE: Custom Education Account Manager
REPORTS TO: Custom Education Assistant Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: The Custom Education Account Manager will cultivate and manage a diverse portfolio of long-term client relationships with organizations and individuals outside of NOLS to advance the school’s mission. The Account Manager will work with educational partners to create customized experiences and design, contract, and oversee programming for these clients. This individual may also teach some Custom Education courses, and/or train and supervise the faculty teaching the courses. Depending on applicant skills and interest, client portfolio could include corporate clients, MBA and university programs, college readiness programs such as Summer Search or C5, secondary schools, camps, and government clients. One position hired through this posting will likely steward NOLS’ relationship with Summer Search NYC and/or C5 Youth Programs.
Passion for NOLS mission and excitement for fulfilling it in creative way
Ability to energetically and accurately represent NOLS to a variety of constituents including current or prospective clients, faculty, families, students, alumni, and staff
Strong interpersonal, organizational, and oral and written communication skills
Ability to build rapport quickly in person as well as through phone conversations and personal correspondence with a wide audience
Ability to assess clients’ desired outcomes and to suggest NOLS-delivered solutions in a dynamic manner
Thorough knowledge of NOLS core curriculum
Initiative, flexibility, and tolerance for adversity and uncertainty
Briefing and debriefing skills for instructors and clients
Ability to balance being a member of a fast-paced, dynamic team while also remaining self-directed, seeking feedback, articulating needs, and maintaining a high-degree of ownership and responsibility
- Project management experience
- Experience with adult students, government entities, corporate or non-profit organizations, and/or schools
- Classroom teaching and public speaking skills
- Passion for, and experience with, working with diverse audiences
- Well-versed in practicing and teaching the NOLS leadership model
- Familiarity with logistics at various NOLS campuses
- NOLS instructor
- NOLS management and/or senior field experience
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Manages a client portfolio, requiring personal visits and ongoing attention to nurture these relationships. Establishes collaborative working relationships within Custom Ed and NOLS to increase understanding of and support for Custom Ed programs. Understands and stays current on school-wide issues. Supervises instructors teaching classroom-based programs. May also directly supervise support staff for remote programs.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Negotiate contracts with outside organizations for educational programming. Responsible for staying within budget guidelines. Typical contracts range from $15,000 to $300,000. Tracks travel expenses.
RESPONSIBILITIES (Percentages approximate, to be determined with person hired):
- Pursue new opportunities with interested potential clients and opportunities for expanding relationships with existing clients with the goal of providing exceptional learning experiences for Custom Ed students and expanding NOLS’ reach. Cultivate long-term client relationships with current and prospective clients. Design course curriculum in one or more NOLS core curriculum areas. Ensures necessary tracking and follow up. (55%)
- Work with a customer service team of two to three Custom Ed employees to positively manage course logistics with NOLS campuses and outside sponsors. (15%)
- Support NOLS Custom Ed courses based at NOLS campuses by providing client orientations for these programs and participate in debriefing process with intent of communicating outcomes directly with client. Brief and debrief classroom-based courses followed by writing staff performance evaluations. Brief and debrief remote location field-based courses. (10%)
- Teach NOLS Custom Ed field- and classroom-based programs as appropriate, particularly those connected to their clients. Visit one to three clients per year. May travel to manage large and/or remote programs. (5-10%)
- Cultivate strong networks externally and internally (to include NOLS Staffing and NOLS campuses). (5%)
- Fulfill other responsibilities as assigned, which may include long-term and strategic projects. (5-10%)
Equal Employment Opportunity
NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS World Headquarters in Lander, Wyoming.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send cover letter and résumé, and direct questions, to:
Custom Education Assistant Director
Prospective applicants are encouraged to seek informational interviews.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Open until filled. NOLS Custom Education intends to hire 1-2 account managers from this posting. Target date for interviews will be the week of July 22nd.
STARTING DATE: September 3, 2019.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.