JOB TITLE: Communications Manager
REPORTS TO: Marketing Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: NOLS Communications Manager is a strategic leadership position that represents public-facing communications for the school including earned media, social media, and crisis communications. The position determines the school’s earned media vision and execution, influences social media strategies and platform use, and is the school’s primary storyteller.
Under the supervision of the marketing director, the communications manager is responsible for building and maintaining a positive image for NOLS by managing public and media relations, strategies and tactics that support overall brand positioning and messaging. The ideal candidate must be a team player, solid communicator, able to formulate and recognize good ideas, and able to manage all aspects of media-related implementation. The communications manager also plays a critical role in the school’s crisis communications plan including working with outside agencies, media writing, and coaching and training staff in best practices. This position is full-time and oversees the Social Media Coordinator.
- BA/BS degree in marketing, communications, journalism, English, or related field required
- 3+ years work experience in public/media relations (in-house or at an agency) required with preference for education, tourism, or non-profit industries
- Experience in crisis communications preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation, organizational, and interpersonal skills specific to media audiences and social media
- Strong project manager with demonstrated ability to handle and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously
- Team player with strong communication, interpersonal, and social skills and the ability to work cooperatively with staff inside and outside of the marketing department
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Possesses a desire to tell stories in fresh, interesting, relevant ways
- Data mindset appreciated
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to manage multiple ongoing activities
- Proven ability to develop and maintain media contacts/relationships
- Requires a track record of success in planning and coordinating special, community, and media events
- Requires ability to build and maintain strong public and media contacts
- Ability to be a contributing, proactive, positive, and supportive member of the team
- Prefer involvement with PRSA and APR accreditation
- Working knowledge of MS Office, PR software solutions, social platforms and management tools, and Google Analytics
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Manages a full time social media coordinator and responsible for the supervision and training of several interns. Coaching and feedback for NOLS spokespeople, many of whom are school directors. This position is a critical leadership position in the NOLS marketing department.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: The communications manager may oversee outside agencies. The position is also responsible for keeping and filing receipts for media visits and when traveling.
- Write and edit: news releases and statements, advisories, captions, and executive remarks as assigned
- Research, compile, and maintain media lists
- Manage the day-to-day relationship with national, regional, and endemic media including pitching and follow-up
- Track print, broadcast, internet, and social influencer coverage and develop measurement tools to showcase the value of PR-led initiatives to executive team and other school leadership
- Monitor trends (best practices, tools, applications, channels, design, and strategy) to continually recommend optimization and improvements
- Coordinate media interviews, media/blogger stays, and familiarization tours for media, film crews, and onsite media events and assist with public relations campaign planning
- Assist in the development and execution of schoolwide launch PR campaigns.
- Liaise with other pillars and departments to identify or create storytelling opportunities
- Manage the vision of the online press room and handle media inquiries
- Develop and maintain media-focused video and photo library and archive for on-going usage and online media center
- Develop and maintain positive relationships and alignments with key members of the working media to achieve communication objectives
- Serve as part of the crisis communications team and maintain/update crisis communications plan as needed
- Manage relationship and accounts with PR Newswire and/or BusinessWire, etc.
- Assist the marketing director with projects or other duties as assigned
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS International Headquarters, Lander, Wyoming.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Sandy Chio.
Contact: Sandy Chio
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Until filled.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.