JOB TITLE: NOLS Northeast Rations Assistant
REPORTS TO: NOLS Northeast Rations Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Assist in the NOLS Northeast rations (field food) department. Provide students with a basic understanding of bulk food planning and nutrition for expeditions.
- Hard working, detail-oriented, and committed to excellence.
- Self-directed, efficient, and able to make decisions independently.
- Must be able to lift and carry 50 pounds. Examples include but are not limited to, bags of flour, boxes and duffle bags of food, and shelving units.
- Desire to interact with NOLS students, instructors, and in-town staff.
- Desire to learn about bulk field rations and field nutrition.
- Able to work flexible hours including some weekends and holidays.
- Desire to live and work in a small community.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Supervise instructors and students in the course rationing process.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Assist with cleanliness and maintenance of rations facility, as well as maintaining rations inventory.
- Arrive to work promptly and with a clean, neat appearance.
- Receive and put away food orders.
- Facilitate informative meetings for faculty regarding the rationing process.
- Aid in the planning of rations.
- Supervise instructors and students throughout the rationing process.
- Bag and divide course rations and re-rations.
- Maintain a clean, orderly, and sanitary rations facility.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by Northeast rations manager.
- Provide timely and growth-oriented feedback to supervisor and co-workers.
- Actively contribute to a positive and healthy community living environment while striving to maintain balance between work and life.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
COVID-19 VACCINE REQUIREMENT: All employees who are not working remotely and who have regular contact with other employees or students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they meet a medical, disability or religion exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved. Any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) is an acceptable vaccine for the purpose of this policy. Full vaccination or an approved exemption is a condition of employment for all new employees as applicable.
WORK LOCATION & CONDITIONS: NOLS Northeast, located in Gabriels, NY in the heart of the Adirondack Park. Approximately 15 miles from Saranac Lake, NY and 20 miles from Lake Placid, NY.
FOOD & LODGING: Shared housing with communal use of kitchen and living areas for $50 per month. Meals are provided when students are at the NOLS Northeast campus.
HOW TO APPLY: Email a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to Taylor Huntley, NOLS Northeast Program Manager.
Contact: Taylor Huntley with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: February 15, 2022
EMPLOYMENT LENGTH & START DATE: Late May through September 1st, 2022
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.