JOB TITLE: NOLS Mexico Operations Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS Mexico Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: The operations supervisor will oversee the functions of NOLS Mexico operational support staff, and ensure that in-town systems and procedures align with NOLS risk management philosophy. Work closely with the program manager/supervisor to ensure excellent student outcomes.
- Enthusiasm for supporting a positive campus culture and passion for the NOLS mission.
- Strong organizational skills, positive attitude, high degree of motivation, and initiative are essential.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including weekends or holidays, to support operations.
- Able to work independently and with a variety of people on a team, and communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Strong problem-solving skills, tolerance for adversity, and excellent expedition behavior are all essential components for working at NOLS Mexico.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: As a member of the NOLS Mexico leadership team expect to receive and give timely feedback with team members regarding performance. Expected to take a leadership role in maintaining a healthy working atmosphere. Coordinate course logistics with program manager/supervisor, in-town staff, and faculty. Work in conjunction with the program manager/supervisor to ensure a high level of student service. Serve in the emergency on-call rotation and help to facilitate evacuations as needed. May assume the role of acting director during director’s absence.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: May be responsible for petty cash and credit cards. Will be responsible for upkeeping the hoof health of the ranch herd. Will be responsible for the safe transportation of livestock, equipment, and people to and from re-ration locations on a given schedule and to and from course road-heads. Will be responsible for students during evacuations out of re-rations or road-heads.
70% Mexico Operations Management
- Hire, train, supervise, and support the managers operations departments—rations and kitchen, equipment, transportation/facilities.
- Schedule operations support in line with seasonal operating plans and manage logistics for all Mexico courses to maintain excellent student service.
- Act as evacuation coordinator: carrying emergency phone at scheduled intervals.
15% Leadership Team Participation
- With director, develop NOLS Mexico vision and supporting actions in alignment with school-wide strategic plans and priorities.
- Maintain and develop good relationships with NOLS Mexico’s communities.
- Assist director in constructing annual operating and assets budgets; prepare and supervise staff in monthly accounting tasks.
- Share in the responsibility of maintaining safe, clean and efficient facilities. Other duties as assigned by the director.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify
MOTOR VEHICLE CHECK: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage prior to start of employment.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Mexico. Bahía Concepción, Baja California Sur - Housing is available on site for a small fee. Kitchen, staples and living areas are communal with other NOLS Mexico in-town staff (and field faculty when on-site).
NOLS Mexico Operations Supervisor is a nine-month per year, salaried position. NOLS Mexico operating season runs from September to April.
HOW TO APPLY: Email cover letter, resume to: NOLS Mexico Director Ximena Carrión Fregoso
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Applications will be reviewed as received.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: August 9, 2021.
STARTING DATE: Starting in Mid-August 2021 remotely, and physically in Ensenada, Baja California on August 30th, 2021.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.