INTERNSHIP TITLE: NOLS Southwest Intern
SUPERVISOR TITLE: NOLS Southwest Assistant Director
INTERNSHIP LOCATION: Tucson, Arizona.
DATES OF INTERNSHIP: August 28, 2019 - December 1, 2019.
INTERNSHIP OBJECTIVE: The Southwest internship provides an opportunity to gain exposure to the skills needed to operate and support wilderness-based experiential education programs.
- At least 21 years old, due to NOLS vehicle insurance requirements.
- Experience working in a team environment—critical thinking and strong communication skills are essential.
- Ability to work independently—experience in self-directed work is also valued.
- Thorough, punctual, and dependable.
- Willingness to engage in feedback and maintain a growth mindset.
- Ability to lift and carry gear including, but not limited to, duffel bags, boats, and boxes of gear—up to 40 lbs. in weight.
- All interns are required to have health insurance.
PROFESSIONAL AND EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES:
- Learn how to plan bulk rations for expedition-style field courses, and assist with preparing course food.
- Learn to outfit students with appropriate personal and group equipment, and assist students one-on-one with their gear selection.
- Participate in defensive driving training, and assist with student evacuations or other driving duties as assigned.
- Gain experience in social media networks by helping manage the Southwest’s social media site, and assist with blog posts for the NOLS website.
- Research and/or contribute to program curriculum on leadership, outdoor skills, environmental studies, and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Coordinate NOLS' participation in community outreach and service events.
- Observe the instructor briefing and debriefing process.
Additional opportunities may include:
- Possible overnight visit to an expedition field course.
- Present information to students through informal or formal classes.
- Complimentary equipment rental.
- Attend NOLS trainings as available.
HOUSING: Rustic-style housing is provided (bed, shared bath, communal lounge and kitchen). Basic food staples are provided and meals are available when students are in town.
College credit may be available.
A weekly stipend of $100/week is provided to help defray expenses incurred during the internship.
Note: Interns should not expect a paid position at the conclusion of the internship.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
HOW TO APPLY: Please send cover letter and resume to Ben Venter.
Contact Ben Venter with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: May 6, 2019.
STARTING DATE: August 28, 2019.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.