INTERNSHIP TITLE: Risk Services Internship
SUPERVISOR TITLE: Wilderness Risk Management Conference (WRMC) Manager
INTERNSHIP LOCATION: NOLS Headquarters in Lander, WY
DATES OF INTERNSHIP: September-December (or fall semester with flexible start and finish)
INTERNSHIP OBJECTIVE: NOLS Risk Services offers risk management consulting and training to entities operating in the outdoor education industry, and leads the Wilderness Risk Management Conference (WRMC), an annual gathering that brings together over 400 outdoor industry professionals to discuss managing and mitigating risk. The Risk Services intern will support the planning, marketing, and execution of the three-day conference, which allows for a variety of event planning projects involving independent work, collaboration among a small team, and interaction with leaders at NOLS, Outward Bound, and the Student Conservation Association. This internship includes travel and attendance to the WRMC in Portland, Maine. The intern will also engage with participants of NOLS Risk Services, foster and maintain relationships with them, and tell the stories of their experience and learning.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Motivation, initiative, and attention to detail
- Commitment to excellent customer service
- Enthusiasm for communicating in an effective manner
- Solid project management skills and follow-through
- Marketing and writing background strongly preferred
PROFESSIONAL AND EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES:
- Gain experience in project management and learn how to effectively work with multiple stakeholders.
- Polish communication skills by engaging with audiences through online social media platforms.
- Hone writing skills by writing blogs and articles for NOLS publications.
- Meet, network with, and learn alongside leaders in the outdoor education field.
- Learn about NOLS by participating in school wide meetings and trainings (as availability allows).
- Participate in community outreach initiatives and awesome outdoor activities.
- College Credit may be available.
A weekly stipend of $125/week is provided to help defray expenses incurred during the internship.
Interns should not expect a paid position at the conclusion of the internship.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to:
APPLICATION DEADLINE: June 1, 2017
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.