INTERNSHIP TITLE: NOLS Pacific Northwest Intern
SUPERVISOR TITLE: NOLS Pacific Northwest Assistant Director
INTERNSHIP LOCATION: Conway, Washington.
DATES OF INTERNSHIP: May 19 –August 16, 2019 (dates can be slightly flexible).
INTERNSHIP OBJECTIVE: Acquire a broad understanding of NOLS’ program and operations by assisting in a variety of support services at NOLS Pacific Northwest. Gain exposure to the skills needed to operate a wilderness-based, experiential education school.
- At least 21 years old of age by position start date.
- Possess a valid driver’s license with a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
- Self-directed, motivated, and able to work independently.
- Thorough, punctual, dependable, and organized.
- Able to live and work in a small community.
- Competent with Microsoft Word, Excel, Google applications, and visual/social media.
- Excellent critical thinking and communication skills (verbal and written).
- Ability to work well in a dynamic office environment, and adjust priorities quickly.
- Physically able to bend, stoop, crouch, lift (up to 40 lbs.), frequently walk, and stand for extended periods of time.
PROFESSIONAL AND EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES:
- Learn NOLS’ outfitting and field food processes.
- Polish communication skills by assisting with writing blog updates.
- Gain experience in maintaining online social media networks.
- Assist with establishing sustainability education initiatives.
- Create and implement a long-term project that helps meet NOLS strategic goals.
- Assist with program administrative and facilities maintenance tasks.
- Participate in the instructor briefing and debriefing process.
- Improve your public speaking skills by presenting information informally or formally through classes and discussions.
- Participate in NOLS school meetings and trainings (as availability allows).
- Connect with NOLS employees to develop other skill areas as desired.
College credit may be available.
A weekly stipend of $100/week is provided to help defray expenses incurred during the internship.
Interns should not expect a paid position at the conclusion of the internship.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Carrie Dodge, NOLS Pacific Northwest Assistant Director
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Subject: PNW Internship Application
Phone: 360-445-6657 x3245
Contact Carrie Dodge with questions.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: January 27, 2019.
STARTING DATE: May 19, 2019.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.