INTERNSHIP TITLE: NOLS Patagonia Maintenance and Agricultural Internship
SUPERVISOR: NOLS Patagonia Campo and Facilities Manager
INTERNSHIP LOCATION: The NOLS Patagonia campus (Campo Las Vertientes) is a large ranch property located eleven kilometers outside of Coyhaique, Chile.
DATES OF INTERNSHIP: January 7 through March 22, 2019.
INTERNSHIP OBJECTIVE: The Patagonia maintenance and agricultural internship provides an opportunity to gain exposure to the skills and expertise needed to maintain facilities and operate an organic farm growing vegetables and pasture-raised livestock.
- Self-directed, motivated, and able to work independently.
- Able to live and work in a small community with strong pro-community behavior.
- Able to work well in a dynamic environment, and adjust priorities quickly.
- Thorough, punctual, dependable, organized.
- Applicant must be willing to do manual labor involving heavy lifting up to 60 pounds and a tolerance for working in adverse weather conditions.
- Intermediate to advanced level of Spanish is required.
PROFESSIONAL AND EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES:
- Learn how to maintain facilities.
- Learn how to use and maintain equipment and tools.
- Learn to properly harvest, wash, and weigh produce for market.
- Learn how to maintain compost piles including bringing food scraps from kitchen to compost area and turning piles by hand.
- Duties will include participating in daily activities at a local organic farm.
- Gain experience with chicken harvest/slaughter.
HOUSING, BOARD, STIPEND, TRAVEL, AND INSURANCE INFORMATION:
- Shared room.
- Meals prepared for students and lunch during weekdays are provided. Food staples also provided to cook in community kitchen.
- A weekly stipend of $75 USD is provided to help defray expenses incurred during the internship.
- All interns are required to have their own travel insurance.
- Transportation to and from NOLS Patagonia is intern’s responsibility.
Interns should not expect a paid position at the conclusion of the internship.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resumé to Michel Raab, NOLS Patagonia Operations Manager.
Contact Michel Raab with questions.
APPLICATION DEADLINES: November 23, 2018.
STARTING DATE: January 7, 2019.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.