INTERNSHIP TITLE: NOLS Patagonia Equipment and Rations Internship
SUPERVISOR TITLE: NOLS Patagonia Operations Manager
INTERNSHIP LOCATION: The NOLS Patagonia facility (Campo Las Vertientes) is a large ranch property located 11 kilometers outside of Coyhaique, Chile.
DATES OF INTERNSHIP: September 24 through December 7, 2018.
INTERNSHIP OBJECTIVE: This internship provides the opportunity to learn skills needed to plan, outfit, and ration wilderness-based expeditions. In addition, the multicultural nature of NOLS Patagonia will provide a cultural immersion experience.
INTERNSHIP QUALIFICATIONS: Strong desire to work for NOLS. Must be highly motivated, have an eye for detail, be a quick learner, and work efficiently without constant supervision. NOLS field experience or familiarity with bulk rationing systems and/or equipment issue procedures preferred. Must be flexible in scheduling work hours, including working some long days and weekends. Must be willing to live and work in a close community and take part in staff events.
PROFESSIONAL AND EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES:
- Learn how to plan bulk-rations for expedition-style field courses and assist with preparing course rations and supporting courses on the back end.
- Learn to outfit students with appropriate personal and group equipment, and assist them one-on-one with their gear selection.
- Learn how to maintain outdoor equipment.
- Teaching and coaching students in formal or informal settings is a possibility.
- Participate in the instructor briefing and debriefing process.
Note: Most of the work will happen at NOLS’ campus. However, some course transitions may happen in remote locations, in which case the intern will have the opportunity to travel with the rest of the team for periods of one to four days.
HOUSING, BOARD, STIPEND, TRAVEL AND INSURANCE INFORMATION
- Shared room.
- Meals prepared for students and lunch during weekdays are provided. Food staples also provided to cook in community kitchen.
- A weekly stipend of $75 USD is provided to help defray expenses incurred during the internship.
- All interns are required to have their own travel insurance.
- Transportation to and from NOLS Patagonia is intern’s responsibility.
Interns should not expect a paid position at the conclusion of the internship.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
HOW TO APPLY: Please send cover letter and resume to Michel Raab, NOLS Patagonia Operations Manager
Contact Michel Raab with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: May 25, 2018.
STARTING DATE: September 24, 2018.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.