INTERNSHIP TITLE: NOLS Pacific Northwest Social Media Intern
SUPERVISOR: NOLS Pacific Northwest Assistant Director
INTERNSHIP LOCATION: Conway, Washington.
DATES OF INTERNSHIP: May 19 - August 16 (dates can be slightly flexible).
INTERNSHIP OBJECTIVE: Acquire a broad understanding of the school’s social media strategy and online community engagement. Support the NOLS Pacific Northwest and Communications team’s goals and objectives in achieving earned media presence and social content amplification. Gain exposure to the skills needed to operate a wilderness-based, experiential education school by assisting in a variety of support services at NOLS Pacific Northwest including rations, equipment, and program administration.
- At least 21 years old of age by position start date.
- Possess a valid driver’s license with a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
- Self-directed, motivated and able to work independently.
- Thorough, punctual, dependable, and organized.
- Able to live and work in a small community.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with managing visual/social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram).
- Competent with Microsoft Word, Excel, Google applications, and visual/social media.
- Ability to work well in a dynamic office environment, and adjust priorities quickly.
- Physically able to bend, stoop, crouch, lift (up to 40 lbs.), frequently walk, and stand for extended periods of time.
Potential projects/responsibilities may include:
- Gain experience in maintaining online social media networks.
- Brainstorm and implement audience engagement projects across social media platforms.
- Collaborate with the NOLS social media coordinator and writers to assist with creating stories for the NOLS blog.
- Generate and schedule content for the NOLS social channels to increase brand awareness, increase the number of followers, and boost engagement.
- Build and maintain relationships through online communication, including those with prospective students, current students, alumni, and staff, as appropriate.
- Research and implement social best practices for content posted to social media.
- Create and implement a long-term project that helps meet NOLS strategic goals.
- Learn about and assist with NOLS campus program and operations tasks including: program administration, facilities maintenance, outfitting and field food processes.
- Participate in the instructor briefing and debriefing process.
- Improve your public speaking skills by presenting information informally or formally through classes and discussions.
- Connect with NOLS employees to develop other skill areas as desired.
College credit may be available.
A weekly stipend of $100/week is provided to help defray expenses incurred during the internship. Housing is provided, including a private sleeping dormitory and communal kitchen with food staples.
Interns should not expect a paid position at the conclusion of the internship.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required.
E-VERIFY: NOLS Participates in E-Verify.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Carrie Dodge, NOLS Pacific Northwest Assistant Director.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, subject: PNW Internship Application
Phone: 360-445-6657 x3245
Contact Carrie Dodge with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: February 7, 2020.
STARTING DATE: Late May, 2020.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.