INTERNSHIP TITLE: NOLS Pacific Northwest Intern
SUPERVISOR TITLE: NOLS Pacific Northwest Assistant Director
INTERNSHIP LOCATION: Conway, Washington.
DATES OF INTERNSHIP: May 31 –August 20, 2021 (dates can be slightly flexible).
INTERNSHIP OBJECTIVE: Acquire a broad understanding of NOLS’ program and operations by assisting in a variety of support services at NOLS Pacific Northwest. Gain exposure to the skills needed to operate a wilderness-based, experiential education school.
- At least 21 years old of age by position start date.
- Possess a valid driver’s license with a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
- Self-directed, motivated, and able to work independently.
- Thorough, punctual, dependable, and organized.
- Able to live and work in a small community.
- Competent with Microsoft Word, Excel, Google applications, and visual/social media.
- Excellent critical thinking and communication skills (verbal and written).
- Ability to work well in a dynamic office environment, and adjust priorities quickly.
- Physically able to bend, stoop, crouch, lift (up to 40 lbs.), frequently walk, and stand for extended periods of time.
PROFESSIONAL AND EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES:
- Learn NOLS’ outfitting and field food processes.
- Polish communication skills by assisting with writing blog updates.
- Gain experience in maintaining online social media networks.
- Assist with establishing sustainability education initiatives.
- Create and implement a long-term project that helps meet NOLS strategic goals.
- Assist with program administrative and facilities maintenance tasks.
- Participate in the instructor briefing and debriefing process.
- Improve your public speaking skills by presenting information informally or formally through classes and discussions.
- Participate in NOLS school meetings and trainings (as availability allows).
- Connect with NOLS employees to develop other skill areas as desired.
College credit may be available.
A weekly stipend of $100/week is provided to help defray expenses incurred during the internship.
Interns should not expect a paid position at the conclusion of the internship.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Darct Mullen, NOLS Pacific Northwest Program Director
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Subject: PNW Internship Application
Contact Darcy Mullen with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: May 13, 2021.
STARTING DATE: End of May 2021
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.