INTERNSHIP TITLE: NOLS Northeast Summer Internship
SUPERVISOR TITLE: NOLS Northeast Program Manager
INTERNSHIP LOCATION: NOLS Northeast, located in Gabriels, NY, in the heart of the Adirondack Park. Approximately 15 miles from Saranac Lake, NY and 20 miles from Lake Placid, NY.
DATES OF INTERNSHIP: End of May through mid August, 2020 (12–13 weeks).
FOOD AND LODGING: Interns will be provided a private bedroom, either in a shared house or cabin, and communal use of kitchen and living area. Meals are provided when students are at the NOLS Northeast campus. Other food is the responsibility of the individual.
INTERNSHIP OBJECTIVE: This internship provides an opportunity to gain exposure to the skills needed to operate and support a wilderness-based experiential education school. NOLS Northeast interns will gain experience working on projects that support operations and provide excellent student service.
INTERN QUALIFICATIONS: Excellent written and verbal communication, organizational, and problem-solving skills. Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Intern must be self-directed, motivated, and dependable.The ability to work well in a dynamic office environment and adjust priorities quickly is also essential.
PROFESSIONAL AND EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES:
- Assist with community outreach programs.
- Gain exposure to the NOLS curriculum and local environmental issues by assisting with the creation and updates of curricular resources: Leadership, outdoor skills, and environmental studies.
- Assist with initiatives including reducing pack weights and environmental sustainability efforts.
- Learn about the development and implementation of marketing strategies.
- Be educated on and assist with the NOLS rationing/field food process.
- Assist with the process of group and personal gear for courses.
- Learn about gear repair and outfitting.
- Improve communication skills by writing blogs and Facebook page updates.
- Gain experience updating off-trail guides and creating map inventories.
- Research and/ or contribute an innovative new project.
College credit may be available.
A weekly stipend of $125/week is provided to help defray expenses incurred during the internship.
Interns should not expect a paid position at the conclusion of the internship.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
HOW TO APPLY: Email a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to Taylor Huntley, NOLS Northeast Program Manager.
Contact Taylor Huntley with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: January 4, 2021.
STARTING DATE: Early June 2021.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting thislink.