INTERNSHIP TITLE: NOLS Alaska Garden Intern
SUPERVISOR TITLE: NOLS Alaska Garden Manager
INTERNSHIP LOCATION: NOLS Alaska, Palmer, AK
DATES OF INTERNSHIP: May 1- August 31, 2018.
INTERNSHIP OBJECTIVE: This internship provides an opportunity to gain exposure to the skills and expertise needed to operate an organic farm.
- Interest in learning sustainable methods of farming.
- Able to lift and carry 60 lbs.
- Self-directed, efficient, and hard-working.
- Able to work flexible hours including some weekends and holidays.
- Desire to live and work in a small community.
- Experience with lawn equipment and operating a tractor is beneficial.
PROFESSIONAL AND EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES:
- Gain experience with day-to-day monitoring, management, and maintenance of vegetable, herb, and flower gardens including seeding, transplanting, thinning, weeding, fertilizing, trellising, irrigating, and harvesting.
- Learn how to maintain compost piles.
- Learn to properly harvest, wash, and weigh produce.
A weekly stipend of $100/ week is provided to help defray expenses incurred during the internship. Meals and housing are provided.
College credit may be available.
Interns should not expect a paid position at the conclusion of the internship.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
HOW TO APPLY: Please send cover letter and resume to Maggie O’Brien, NOLS Operations Manager
Contact Maggie O’Brien with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Position open until filled.
STARTING DATE: May 1, 2018
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.