INTERNSHIP TITLE: NOLS Northeast Summer Internship
SUPERVISOR TITLE: NOLS Northeast Program Manager
INTERNSHIP LOCATION: NOLS Northeast, located in Gabriels, NY in the heart of the Adirondack Park. Approximately 15 miles from Saranac Lake, NY and 20 miles from Lake Placid, NY.
DATES OF INTERNSHIP: June 3–August 16, 2019 (11 weeks).
INTERNSHIP OBJECTIVE: This internship provides an opportunity to gain exposure to the skills needed to operate and support a wilderness-based experiential education school. NOLS Northeast interns will gain experience working on projects that support operations and provide excellent student service.
INTERN QUALIFICATIONS: Excellent written and verbal communication, organizational and problem-solving skills. Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Intern must be self directed, motivated, and dependable.The ability to work well in a dynamic office environment and adjust priorities quickly is also essential.
PROFESSIONAL AND EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES:
- Assist with community outreach programs.
- Gain exposure to the NOLS curriculum and local environmental issues by assisting with the creation and updates of curricular resources: leadership, outdoor skills, and environmental studies.
- Assist with various initiatives, including reducing pack weights and environmental sustainability efforts.
- Learn about the development and implementation of marketing strategies.
- Be educated on and assist with the NOLS rationing/field food process.
- Assist with the process of organizing group and personal gear for courses.
- Learn about gear repair and outfitting.
- Polish communication skills by writing blogs and Facebook page updates.
- Gain experience updating off-trail guides and creating map inventories.
- Research and/or contribute to an innovative new project.
College credit may be available.
A weekly stipend of $125/week is provided to help defray expenses incurred during the internship.
Interns should not expect a paid position at the conclusion of the internship.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
HOW TO APPLY: Send PDF-formated cover letter & resume as one PDF attachment to Amber Luettger, Northeast Operations.
Please contact Amber Luettger with questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: February 3, 2019.
STARTING DATE: June 3, 2019
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.