JOB TITLE: Advancement Operations Manager
REPORTS TO: Chief Advancement Officer
JOB OBJECTIVE: Leads the day to day operational and administrative functions of the advancement (fundraising) program, with an emphasis on ensuring that out-the-door fundraisers have the resources, information, and support to be successful. To start, this position will be responsible for driving the restructure and rebuilding of the operations function for the advancement department. They will need to be a problem solver and have the ability to enhance, develop and implement comprehensive systems and structures for the advancement team. Responsible for ensuring that the advancement program tracks and analyzes relevant data to ensure it can best identify, cultivate, solicit and steward its donors. The Advancement Operations Manager (AOM) analyzes factual information to achieve results, improve workflow, solve problems, and anticipate the needs of the team. Provides recommendations and targeted training related to advancement operations. Provides the strategic direction for internal operational systems and internal communication platforms; ensuring that systems are in line with organizational values and that platforms are equitably accessible. Partners across departments to ensure that the gift making process, data collection and reporting systems, technology platforms, and overall office management meet the needs of multiple internal and external stakeholders.
QUALIFICATIONS: The Advancement Operations Manager (AOM) must excel at effectively building, supervising, and leading teams dedicated to accuracy, integrity and inclusion practices. They must possess exceptional attention to detail while also seeing the big picture and being flexible in a dynamic work environment. Must be able to set priorities, manage diverse activities, and meet deadlines. Must have strong computer skills and experience generating reports and analyzing and interpreting data.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or a minimum of 3-5 years fundraising/database and or educational experience required.
- Minimum of 3 years supervisory experience
- Experience coordinating projects and events.
- Experience with database administration, spreadsheet software, including managing and analyzing data. This position will also be playing a lead role in our database transition. Experience with database transitions is a plus.
- Experience generating reports and analyzing and interpreting data.
- Strong computer skills, especially Excel and Blackbaud database software.
- Experience with current technology in fundraising.
- Ability to set priorities, manage diverse activities, and meet deadlines.
- Experience working with volunteers, including volunteer leaders (board members).
- Experience supervising staff, interns, and/or volunteers.
- Experience working across departments.
- Experience, coursework, or other training in principles and practices of fundraising.
- Strong organization skills, accuracy, attention to detail, and ability to manage multiple tasks.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: The AOM is responsible for the hiring, training, and supervision of the operations team, which includes the Database Technician, with the ability to grow the team. Also serves as the point person for identifying and tracking all cultivation of current and prospective donors. The AOM is also responsible for understanding IRS regulations and disseminating to the team. Maintains a high level of confidentiality of all current and prospective donors, alumni, students, staff, and volunteer records. Works closely with the advancement team to maintain and advance relationships with existing donors as well as grow the roster of prospective donors. The AOM must have advanced knowledge of the systems and resources utilized for effective management of the advancement team’s operations and be a firm believer in quality data and systems management. The AOM will play a key role in database management/transition and implementation of fundraising software.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for upkeep of donor-related files and information. For maintaining and staying up to date on all of NOLS fundraising Standard Operating Principles and associated guidelines and developing documentation, adapting processes and participating in the enhancement of systems and tools used by the team.
- Serve as the team’s “expert” in capabilities and functions of NOLS’s donor database, BBCRM, and on NOLS’s advancement policies and procedures.
- Take a lead role in building out-the-door donor pipeline through identification of high-potential major gift prospects ($100,000 + over three years). Assigns prospects to gift officers for cultivation and solicitation.
- Take a lead role in building, developing and implementing comprehensive systems and structures to enhance the effectiveness of the advancement team.
- Monitor fundraiser progress to goals by managing projections regularly and developing opportunities and giving pyramids (for individuals and team), while meeting regularly with out-the-door fundraisers to ensure accountability and to provide strategic plan consultation.
- Provide regular updates to the Advancement Director regarding fundraising portfolio reviews, noting strengths and offering suggestions on how to address any issues.
- Create and improve comprehensive reports to communicate fundraising progress to internal and external constituents.
- Assist with monthly advancement team and campaign steering committee meetings.
- Process, acknowledge, code, and report all gifts and pledges in a timely manner.
- Works closely with the Finance Controller on account reconciliation and pulling information for the auditors.
- Provide critical support for portfolio management and pipeline development and analysis, producing comprehensive fundraising reports, and providing resources such as research, fundraising metrics, revenue/projection reports, engagement materials, and board materials.
- Work with the advancement team to ensure accurate, consistent, and timely entry of all data.
- Tracking proposals and reports and supplementary materials to ensure that necessary internal and external deadlines are met.
- Serves as the Advancement Committee liaison and will assist with Advancement Committee meetings as needed.
- Coordinates logistics for the Advisory Council meetings. Prepares and distributes agendas and other meeting materials. Reserves and prepares facilities. Records and transcribes meeting minutes.
- Assists with other projects as assigned.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all employees.
NOLS E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
WORK LOCATION: Preference for Advancement Operations Manager to reside in Wyoming but will consider remote candidates residing in Denver or Salt Lake City.HOW TO
APPLY: Email cover letter and resume to:
Contact: Heather Wisniewski, Chief Advancement Officer with Questions.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: July 12, 2021.
STARTING DATE: ASAP.
Full-time, benefited position:
The starting pay range for this position is between $45K - $55K per year dependent on experience. Other benefits include: 403 B, 403 B contribution, Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Flexible Spending account, Life Insurance, Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance, Long Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program, Paid Time off.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Before we review your resume and cover, we ask that you please fill out this questionnaire by visiting thislink.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.