Dates of internship:
Fall: September - mid December
Spring: January - early May
Fall: June 1st
Spring: November 15th
*Please do not submit applications after the deadlines outlined above, thank you.
Position Location: NOLS Southwest, Tucson, Arizona
Compensation: A stipend of $100/week is provided, plus meals with students while they are in town. Rustic, on-site housing is also provided.
Job Objective: Gain a broad understanding of NOLS' operations by assisting in a variety of support services at NOLS Southwest in Tucson, AZ.
This internship is a practical experience. The interns will spend blocks of time in different operations departments, focusing primarily on outfitting and rations. Interns will receive training from department managers with the goal of operating independently during the manager's absence.
The intern will also help complete various marketing, student service and programmatic tasks throughout the season. Additionally, the intern will create and implement one long-term project pertaining to NOLS Southwest's sustainability and community outreach goals.
Potential Projects & Tasks:
- purchase food and materials
- plan, bag and box student rations and create spice kits
- update off-trail guides and map inventories
- order outdoor merchandise and rental gear
- issue and deissue students
- maintain and repair equipment
- organize office files
- complete landscape and maintenance projects on the property
- give tours of the property
- update blog and photo sites
- student pre-course calls
- create art projects around the property
- track sustainability metrics
- NOLS graduate
- Applicants must have a clean driving record and be over 21 years of age.
- High level of initiative, attention to detail, flexibility, self-motivation, sense of humor and tolerance.
- Punctual, dependable and excellent "expedition behavior" in a communal living environment.
- Competence with Apple computers as well as MS Word and Excel.
- Interns must have private health insurance. Our workers compensation will not cover work-related injuries for interns.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
How To Apply:
Please e-mail resume and cover letter to:
Nick Cross, Southwest Assistant Director