JOB TITLE: NOLS New Zealand Equipment Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS New Zealand Assistant Director
Position open only to persons with current legal right to work in New Zealand.
JOB OBJECTIVE: Manage equipment inventories and ensure adequate supply, quality, and selection of equipment for field operations. Work with program team on meeting student and staff equipment needs. Oversee issue and de-issue of equipment and subsequent accounting of all rental charges and purchases. Help with transportation, re-ration, operations support, and facility maintenance as required.
QUALIFICATIONS: A pleasant and approachable manner with staff and students as well as a high degree of motivation, initiative, work ethic, and strong organizational skills are required. Effective communication skills, creative problem solving, attention to detail, and the ability to work well as part of a team to ensure the smooth running of the branch are necessary. Must be willing to work long, flexible hours including holidays or weekends. Must possess a thorough knowledge of outdoor recreation equipment use and its repair. Excellent driving skills, a clean driving record, and qualified to drive NOLS vehicles. A passenger (P) endorsement is desirable. Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office and prior budgetary experience are preferred. NOLS instructor certification or graduate preferred. Familiarity with the NOLS New Zealand course types (hiking, mountaineering, canoeing, sea kayaking, sailing) is desired. Multi-year commitment strongly preferred.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: As a member of the NOLS New Zealand team, offer and receive timely feedback among team members regarding performance. Brief and supervise field staff in course preparation. Supervise students and staff in outfitting procedures on issue and de-issue days. Instruct students and field staff in proper use and care of equipment. Potentially supervise interns.
80% Organize and oversee smooth operation of New Zealand outfitting facility.
- Maintain, clean, and repair course equipment.
- Contract with external sources as needed.
- Maintain repair tools and work area in a clean, safe, efficient manner. Provide training and supervision for faculty and students in equipment maintenance, inspection, and repair.
- Research, order, and receive gear appropriate for NOLS New Zealand courses.
- Inventory and keep accurate records of outfitting equipment and supplies. Track equipment inventory and ensure that sufficient equipment is on hand to meet course needs.
- Compile and track orders; maintain inventory within budget. Advise operations manager/director on long-term planning.
- Maintain accurate accounting records of equipment sales and rental charges.
- Maintain all outfitting related course paperwork.
- Brief and debrief faculty on equipment availability, function, and needs.
- Manage effective issue and de-issue process and oversee gear cleaning and laundering after courses.
- Plan for and promote sales of merchandise and used course equipment (TradeMe account, yard sales).
20% Operations Support: Assist in handling course evacuations. Perform vehicle re-rations as necessary.
- Drive courses to road-heads if required and P-endorsement current.
- Perform maintenance duties on facilities as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by operations manager and/or director.
- We are a small branch and rely on employee's multifaceted skills as applicable.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: The NOLS New Zealand equipment manager will work in conjunction with the NOLS New Zealand assistant director in effectively managing the equipment revenue and expense budgets. Incumbent will have access to petty cash, credit cards, EFTPOS cards and check accounts.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS New Zealand, Aniseed Valley, Richmond/Nelson, New Zealand
HOW TO APPLY: Email cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 28 March 2014.
PROPOSED DECISION DATE FOR POSITION: 11 April 2014.
DATES OF POSITION: The position will start 25 August 2014.
MOTOR VEHICLE CHECK: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver's license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.