NOLS Leadership Expeditions for the U.S. Naval Academy are field-based, leadership practicums. These courses are designed to support and complement the classroom leadership curriculum offered through the Academy's Leadership Education and Development Division. These expeditions are also available to cadets at other service academics and ROTC midshipmen. Please contact Thea Sittler at NOLS with questions about participating if you are not a midshipmen at the U.S. Naval Academy.
Current Expedition Offerings:
For Current Alumni Expedition Offerings, click here.
2016 Enrollment Procedures and Deadlines:
1. Explore training options. Talk with NOLS - USNA Alumni Representatives in your company or on the Yard. Or Contact NOLS with questions.
2. Complete online application - Now accepting applications.
Applications due January 31, 2016
East Coast Sea Kayaking application due with scholarship application January 17, 2016
3. Complete Scholarship Application - Now accepting applications.
4. Explore 529 College Savings Plan options.
- Notify of program acceptance - February 8 - 19, 2016
NOLS will notify applicants via email as they are placed on preliminary rosters for their first or second choice expeditions. Applicants whose first or second choices cannot be honored will be contacted and other options will be explored.
There are four conditions under which the application fee would be refunded:
- Financial constraints for scholarship applicants when NOLS is informed of withdrawal within 21 days of award determination
- Conflict with mandatory training
- Athletic excellence
- NOLS is unable to assign you to your first or second choice course type
Submit student paperwork - Due April 6, 2016
- Notify of course assignment - late March - early April, 2016: Character Development and Training will notify midshipmen of specific course assignment through summer training orders. Cadets at other academies or NROTC students will be notified by NOLS or through their chain of command.
- USNA mandatory course briefing - Mid-April
- Remit tuition balance and equipment deposit
- Financial constraints for scholarship applicants when NOLS is informed of withdrawal within 21 days of award determination;
- Conflict with mandatory training, excluding optional summer school;
- Athletic excellence; or
- NOLS is unable to assign you to your first or second choice course type and you are not interested in other opportunities.