Explore several of the magnificent islands that comprise the out islands of the Bahamas known as the Exumas. The coastline of the Bahamas is pristine, remote and often uninhabited. Many of the plant and animal species found here are unique and highly specialized. The sea kayaks allow us to explore the marine environment above and below, although there are no guarantees as to what you might see.
A typical paddling day involves rising with the sun and checking the sea and sky conditions to decide if travel is safe. Often times you will paddle along the island’s coastline but there will also be crossings of more open water. There will be time in the afternoons to work on leadership, kayak skills, or go snorkeling.
The hurricane season is over by December, but it is possible that wind and rain will be factors on the trip. The weather is generally pleasant and beautiful, with cool evenings and warm days. Watching the weather, judging sea conditions, and learning about the capabilities of the group and equipment are what safe coastal kayaking is all about.
On the Chicago Booth Leadership Expedition, you will:
- Eat, cook and camp outdoors
- Learn basic outdoor, sea kayaking and rescue/recovery skills
- Bond with nine fellow Chicago Booth classmates
- Put your leadership instincts to the test as Leader of the Day
- Develop & advance group goals through effective teamwork
- Spend evenings watching the sunset and debriefing the day’s challenges
- Enjoy the turquoise waters of the Bahamas