AmeriCorps Education Award with CWC
Applying for an AmeriCorps Education Award for your NOLS course
1. Apply to NOLS.
- Be sure to tell your NOLS admissions officer you have an AmeriCorps award.
2. Apply to Central Wyoming College (CWC). Click this link for the application.
- An agreement with CWC allows AmeriCorps participants to receive CWC credit and use their educational stipends for NOLS courses.
- This is a free application.
- On the application, identify your planned course of study as "outdoor education and leadership."
- CWC will notify the NOLS registrar that your application has been received.
- To finalize your registration, the NOLS registrar will send details of your NOLS course, such as duration and tuition, to CWC.
3. Send your completed AmeriCorps voucher to the CWC business office online here, or by mail here:
CWC Accounts Receivable Technician
2660 Peck Ave.
Riverton, WY 82501
- CWC will submit your voucher to the U.S. Government for payment 30 days before your course begins.
- CWC will retain the cost for college credit awarded for your course and forward the remainder to NOLS.
4. Contact accounts receivable at CWC and ask them to notify NOLS Financial Aid of the final amount of your AmeriCorps award that NOLS will receive.
Frequently Asked Questions
May I use my AmeriCorps Education Award toward any NOLS course?
Yes. You can apply your award to any NOLS course.
Is there a cost to use my AmeriCorps award?
You must pay CWC tuition and fees per credit hour. CWC will retain that cost from your AmeriCorps award. Most NOLS programs are either 4- or 12-credit programs. Click here for the current listing of CWC tuition and fees.
What NOLS expenses will my AmeriCorps award cover?
Your AmeriCorps award will pay for your NOLS tuition and equipment deposit.
My NOLS course begins shortly after my AmeriCorps service finishes. Can I still use my AmeriCorps award?
Yes. Your AmeriCorps supervisor should send a letter or email to the NOLS registrar stating when your service will be complete and that you will be eligible to receive your education award. Please note that NOLS may ask that you pay your tuition prior to your course start date. You will receive reimbursement once your AmeriCorps award has been processed by CWC.