- "This was a man to match our mountains," by Kerry Brophy.
Paul Petzoldt, world-class mountaineer and founder of the National Outdoor Leadership School, died October 6, 1999.
- Street sense becomes mountain know-how, by Kerry Brophy.
Elias Munoz couldn't wait any longer. He was hefting his heavy pack up a steep peak in Wyoming's remote Absaroka mountain range and something told him to just go for it--to push himself past the others, past what he imagined he was capable of achieving.
- Product Review: Brunton Eterna Binoculars, by Dave Glenn.
- Zwaagstras does zee trips, by Tom Reed.
- Donation gives the Steele House new life, by Tom Reed.
- Hypo-what? A lesser known illness, by Buck Tilton.
- Much More Than Climbing, by Kerry Brophy.
- NOLS memories become leadership realities, by Kerry Brophy.
Chris Gergen will never forget his first introduction to NOLS. "I'd never been camping before," he recalls. "And then my NOLS instructors stuck me on telemark skis with a 60-pound pack on my back and a 60-pound sled on my hips. We were heading into an evening snow storm and I began thinking, 'What the heck am I doing here?'"
- Last Mountain Man? Not if He Can Help It by Jane Howard. Reprinted from Life magazine, December 19, 1969.
- NOLS in the News: LNT, Inc. honors NOLS.
- Book Review: Conditioning for Outdoor Fitness: A Comprehensive Guide. David Musnick, M.D. and Mark Pierce, A.T.C., reviewed by Craig Stebbins.
- Issue Room: Empty Your Pockets, by Stefan J. Jackson.
- The Long Commute, by Danielle "Digger" Dignan.
In June 1997 I bought a 30-foot, cutter-rigged, sailboat...
- LNT: Balancing Wildland Protection and Ecotourism in Latin America, by Ethan Meers.
- Branch Update.
- Expedition Update: The Women's Century Expedition.
- Alumni Profile: Making the Outdoors Diverse, by Nate Kratz.
"We want to open [the outdoors] to people who financially or culturally don't have much exposure to it; it's very much an all-white outdoor world and we'd like to change that," explained Read McCulloch...
- WMI Director Sees a Natural Fit With NOLS, by Nate Kratz.
- Issue Room: Saving Room for Grizz, by Tom Reed.
Snow drifts down out of the sky, defying the green up all around us. The aspens are budding and yet I shrug myself deeper inside my jacket and train the spotting scope on the slope above. "There she is, she's just on the edge of the trees..."
- Book Review: The National Outdoor Leadership School's Wilderness Guide, by Alisha Laramee
- NOLS Plans Lander Expansion, by Susan Brame.
The Leader is the school's alumni newspaper, published three times a year. Circulation is 48,000. NOLS graduates living in the United States receive a free subscription to The Leader for life or until they move and we do not receive a forwarding address. Please tell us if your address changes.