- Make piecrust from NOLS Cookery in a fry pan.
- Slice 3 apples thinly. In a pot, boil a half-cup of water with apples with 4 T brown sugar and 2 tsp. cinnamon until water is boiled out or apples are to preferred softness.
- Drain remaining water and add 2 T butter/margarine with 2 T brown sugar, 1 tsp. cinnamon and 1 tsp. vanilla. Fry in pot until caramelized about 10-15 minutes (be careful not to burn). Add this mixture to the piecrust.
- Top with a mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon and granola (or oatmeal). Try modifying the Granola recipe on page 68 for this topping if you want more structure. For an added twist, top with craz-ins or cranberries.
- Use 3 small apples or 2 large apples or half-pound dried apples.
- An efficient way to cook the crust is by using the frying pan with the crust as a lid for the boiling apples. If this isn’t possible, place crust over windscreen with stove on simmer.
- To make the apples really soft boil them for at least 10 minutes.
- This recipe takes around half-hour total to make.
Are You a Backcountry Culinary Genius?
Send your recipes to firstname.lastname@example.org, complete with: your name(s), where the recipe was created, your NOLS course, the name of the recipe, an ingredient list and where unusual ingredients are available (if applicable). It should use basic staples; variations from NOLS Cookery recipes are accepted. Field-tested and eater-approved are also a must!