JOB TITLE: NOLS Yukon Intern
REPORTS TO: NOLS Yukon Program Supervisor
JOB OBJECTIVES: To assist all Yukon positions in supporting NOLS Yukon summer programs. This is a learning/training position.
QUALIFICATIONS: Experience working in outdoor programs would be beneficial. Ideally the candidate has experience in leading and participating in a variety of wilderness activities and/or is studying or working toward a professional in outdoor guiding or education. Preference will go to Canadian citizens or landed immigrants. Staff must be over 21 years of age with no traffic violations to be able to drive NOLS vehicles, while this is not a requirement, it will be given preference.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Supervise students, other volunteers, and occasionally instructors in a variety of specific tasks.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: The NOLS Yukon intern may be responsible to purchase items using petty cash in small amounts.
- Assist in preparing all operations for supporting multi-week wilderness courses
- Cleaning and repairing gear, work areas and vehicles
- Oversight of the staff accommodations
- Regular cleaning and maintenance of equipment, vehicles and work areas
- Repairing equipment
- Packing, sorting, and transporting field rations
- Other duties assigned that may include curriculum development, organizing, filing, systems creation, and evaluations
- Oversight of NOLS Yukon environmental practices
- Complete evaluations of self and supervisor
- Thoroughly clean rations room, storeroom, equipment room and work areas
- Participate in inventory
- Help to winterize the facility and vehicles
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Yukon, Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada
HOW TO APPLY:
Email or fax cover letter and resumé to: Jaret Slipp (NOLS Yukon Director)
Address: P.O. Box 20449, #4 Hotsprings Valley Rd, Whitehorse YT, Y1A 7A2
Please contact Jaret Slipp with any questions
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: March 28, 2014 Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
STARTING DATE: June 2, 2014 (until August 31, 2014)