JOB TITLE: NOLS Three Peaks Ranch Intern (AmeriCorps position) – Boulder, WY
REPORTS TO: NOLS Three Peaks Ranch Manager
Regular and Special Projects -
Interns will work with NOLS Three Peaks Ranch (TPR) staff on projects that support ranch and NOLS Rocky Mountain (RM) operations, and provide excellent student service and horse health and training. Intern responsibilities and projects are designed to meet skills and interests of intern. Potential projects/ responsibilities may include, and are not limited to:
- Pack re-supply food and equipment into remote areas of the Wind River Mountains to
- assist NOLS courses.
- Assist with ranch-related projects and tasks, including, but not limited to: irrigating,
- basic horse vet care, horse training, tack and equipment maintenance, grounds keeping, vehicle maintenance, general maintenance, and construction.
- Work with NOLS owned or leased horses, as directed.
- Update off-trail guides and map inventory.
- Develop program curriculum on: leadership, outdoor skills, and environmental studies.
- Assist with Three Peaks Ranch environmental sustainability efforts.
- Research and/or contribute an innovative new project for NOLS Three Peaks Ranch.
- Issue and de-issue student gear for courses; prepare and repair gear.
- Other projects and duties, as assigned.
Skill Development / Special Opportunities May Include -
- Horse packing skill development.
- Horse training experience/skill development.
- Horse vetting, shoeing, general care skill development.
- Defensive driving training.
- Visit to NOLS Rocky Mountain.
- Equipment rental, as availability allows.
- Exposure to a variety of skills and expertise needed to operate a large wilderness-based experiential education school.
- College credit available; fulfills most 400-hour internship requirements.
- Horse experience.
- NOLS graduate.
- Self directed and highly motivated.
- Exceptional Expedition Behavior (EB).
- Excellent critical thinking and communication skills.
- Ability to work well in a dynamic environment, and adjust priorities quickly.
- Thorough, punctual, dependable.
- Good sense of humor.
- Understanding and passion for the NOLS mission.
21 years (due to NOLS vehicle insurance carrier requirements) with a clean driving record.
COMPENSATION: A stipend of $100/week is provided. Seasonal—Summer 2012, 10-12 weeks. Room and board at ranch is included. AmeriCorps Education Award: $1,000 education award is provided upon the completion of internship and AmeriCorps requirements. Intern can opt out of this benefit, if preferred.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required for all NOLS employees.
E-Verify: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Three Peaks Ranch, Boulder, Wyoming.
HOW TO APPLY: Currently accepting applications for Summer 2013. Interested individuals should email a cover letter, resume and three references to: Patrick Creeden, NOLS Three Peaks Ranch Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
Please email Patrick Creeden with questions: email@example.com
START DATE: June 2013 (flexible)
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS:
February 4, 2013
Please do not submit applications after the deadlines outlined above. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.