JOB TITLE: NOLS Three Peaks Ranch Intern – Boulder, WY
REPORTS TO: NOLS Three Peaks Ranch Manager
Regular and Special Projects -Interns will work with NOLS Three Peaks Ranch (TPR) staff on projects that support ranch and NOLS Rocky Mountain (RM) operations, and provide excellent student service and horse health and training. Intern responsibilities and projects are designed to meet skills and interests of intern. Potential projects/ responsibilities may include, and are not limited to:
- Pack re-supply food and equipment into remote areas of the Wind River Mountains to assist NOLS courses.
- Assist with ranch-related projects and tasks, including, but not limited to: Irrigating, basic horse vet care, horse training, tack and equipment maintenance, grounds keeping, vehicle maintenance, general maintenance, and construction.
- Work with NOLS owned or leased horses, as directed.
- Update off-trail guides and map inventory.
- Develop program curriculum on: Leadership, outdoor skills, and environmental studies.
- Assist with Three Peaks Ranch environmental sustainability efforts.
- Research and/or contribute an innovative new project for TPR.
- Issue and de-issue student gear for courses; prepare and repair gear.
- Other projects and duties, as assigned.
Skill Development / Special Opportunities May Include -
- Horse packing skill development.
- Horse training experience/skill development.
- Horse vetting, shoeing, general care skill development.
- Defensive driving training.
- Visit to NOLS Rocky Mountain.
- Equipment rental, as availability allows.
- Exposure to a variety of skills and expertise needed to operate a large wilderness-based, experiential education school.
- Horse experience.
- NOLS graduate.
- Self directed and highly motivated.
- Exceptional Expedition Behavior (EB).
- Excellent critical thinking and communication skills.
- Ability to work well in a dynamic environment, and adjust priorities quickly.
- Thorough, punctual, dependable.
- Good sense of humor.
- Understanding and passion for the NOLS mission.
Minimum Age: 21 years (due to NOLS vehicle insurance carrier requirements) with a clean driving record.
COMPENSATION: A stipend of $125/week is provided. Seasonal—summer 2015, 10-12 weeks. Room and board at ranch is included.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required for all NOLS employees.
MOTOR VEHICLE CHECK: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Three Peaks Ranch, Boulder, Wyoming.
HOW TO APPLY: Email a cover letter, resume and contact information for three references to::
NOLS Three Peaks Ranch Manager
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: January 2, 2015*. Applicants selected for interviews will be contacted by February 20th 2015.
START DATE: June 2015 (flexible)
*Please do not submit applications after the deadlines outlined above.