INTERSHIP: NOLS Southwest Internship
APPLICATIONS DUE: November 25, 2015
POSITION LOCATION: Tucson, Arizona
CONTACT: Interested individuals should send a resume, cover letter, and letter of recommendation:
NOLS Southwest Assistant Director email@example.com
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Acquire a broad understanding of NOLS’ operations by assisting in a variety of support services at NOLS Southwest. Gain exposure to the skills, and expertise needed to operate a wilderness-based, experiential education school.
- At least 21 years old, with some exceptions on a case-by-case basis.
- Preferably a graduate or past participant of a NOLS field expedition course, wilderness medicine course, or professional training course.
- Self-directed and motivated
- Exceptional Expedition Behavior (EB)
- Competent with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google applications
- Excellent critical thinking and communication skills
- Ability to work well in a dynamic office environment, and adjust priorities quickly - Thorough, punctual, dependable
- Understanding and passion for the NOLS mission
- Physically able to bend, stoop, crouch, lift (up to 40 lbs.), frequently walk, and stand for extended periods of time.
COMPENSATION: A $100/week stipend is provided
FOOD & LODGING: Rustic housing is provided at NOLS Southwest, and meals are available when students are in town.
DURATION: December 30, 2015 - May 12, 2016 (negotiable)
- Plan, bag, and organize food for backcountry rations; create spice kits.
- Assist in planning and preparing in-town meals for staff and students
- Coordinate NOLS participation in community events
- Issue and de-issue students the necessary gear for their courses
- Maintain and repair equipment
- Update map inventory and print maps
- Defensive driving training; driving duties as assigned
- Update blog and social media sites
- Research and/or contribute to a new, innovative project for NOLS Southwest
- Other projects and duties as assigned
ADDITIONAL OPPORTUNITIES MAY INCLUDE:
- Participate in the instructor briefing and debriefing process
- Present information to students informally or formally through classes
- Participate in NOLS school meetings and trainings (as availability allows)
- Outdoor trips with NOLS employees to develop technical skills
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required for all NOLS interns and employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by completing this survey.