JOB TITLE: Pacific Northwest Summer Intern
REPORTS TO: Pacific Northwest Assistant Director
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Acquire a broad understanding of NOLS’ operations by assisting in a variety of support services at NOLS Pacific Northwest. Gain exposure to the skills, and expertise needed to operate a wilderness-based, experiential education school.
INTERNSHIP OBJECTIVE: Create and implement a long-term project that helps meet NOLS PNW environmental sustainability goals. Learn all aspects of program office responsibilities and assist program supervisors with course preparation and closure.
QUALIFICATIONS: NOLS graduate preferred; College graduate or college senior with excellent verbal and written communication skills; self-motivated and able to work independently; thorough, dependable, punctual and organized. Experience with graphic arts/visual media is an asset. An ability to live and work in a small community is essential.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Work with the NOLS PNW assistant director in establishing sustainability education initiatives including, but not limited to recycling, energy use reduction, food sourcing, composting, and community outreach. Create a long-term project that helps meet school sustainability strategic goals.
- Assist in the outfitting and rationing of courses.
- Assist in internal website development, including writing weekly blog updates.
- Assist with administrative tasks as needed.
- Assist with facilities maintenance tasks as needed.
- Coordinate NOLS participation in community events
- Participate in the instructor briefing and debriefing process
- Present information to students informally or formally through classes
- Participate in NOLS school meetings and trainings (as availability allows)
- Outdoor trips with NOLS employees to develop technical skills.
BENEFITS: $100 weekly stipend. NOLS PNW provides free room and board.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
HOW TO APPLY:Send a cover letter and resume to:
Contact Carrie Dodge with questions.
POSITION LOCATION and SEASON: NOLS Pacific Northwest, Conway, Washington. 3-month summer position only from June through August
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Each year applications are accepted between January 10 and February 15.