Graphic Design Internship
January–July (Application Deadline - November 1st)
March–September (Application Deadline - November 1st)
July–January (Application Deadline - April 1st)
September–March (Application Deadline - April 1st)
Job Description: The NOLS Graphic Design Internship is a six-month position in the creative department at an international nonprofit. You’ll work with a small and experienced design team within the fun and vibrant creative department. Regular critiques and reviews are standard.
The internship provides an opportunity to experience a wide range of design and layout projects. Candidates must have a strong sense of design and bring production abilities and an enthusiasm for communicating in an effective and lively manner. You'll be an integral part of creating printed pieces from conception to layout to press.
As the NOLS brand is evolving, this is an exciting time to join our team. Designers will have the opportunity to contribute to brand guideline revisions in addition to learning about UX design through hands on experience and regular user testing.
Location: NOLS International Headquarters, Lander, Wyoming
Internship term: 6 months
- $125/week - Food and lodging are not provided. This is taxable.
- Receive a staff discount on a NOLS course of one month or shorter and attend staff seminars where openings exist
- Receive one additional week off to be applied towards a personal wilderness trip.
- Free access to the NOLS gym
- College credit available if requested
- Must be hard-working, positive, and a quick learner who is eager to take on any project
- Graphic design degree or related experience
- Strong eye for detail and ability to multi-task
- Strong production skills
- Experience with Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Photo editing skills
- Great attitude
Preferred (but not required) Experience:
- Illustration skills
- UX/web design skills
- NOLS grad
- Layout and production of marketing materials including adrolls, printed ads, posters, banners, brochures, flyers, etc.
- Involvement in the course catalog and design of course catalog graphics & infographics
- Assisting with layout and production of The Leader, the 32-page publication that goes out three times a year to NOLS alumni
- Layout and production of fundraising pieces
- Layout and production of staff and donor newsletters
- Layout or design of other publications and projects as assigned
Personal, Educational and Professional Development Opportunities:
- Learn how to effectively work with a in-house creative department and work closely with a small design team
- Gain experience with preparing layout files for press, and become more familiar with the larger process of printing by bidding projects with printers, reviewing printer proofs, and possibly attending a press check
- Polish communication skills by working with various departments around the school on projects
- Gain experience designing a large variety of projects from infographics to layout to web ads
- Add a variety of work to your design portfolio
- Opportunity to play a role in our re-branding process
- Opportunity to play a role in UX design projects as well as perform user testing
Criminal Background check: A criminal background check is required for all NOLS interns and employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
Contact: Applicants should send a resume, cover letter, and a link to their website portfolio to:
Samantha Pede, Senior Graphic Designer
National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS)
284 Lincoln St.
Lander, WY 82520
Electronic applications preferred. Mailing design samples in addition to electronic submission is acceptable.