Environmental Stewardship and Sustainability Internship
Term of internship: Six months
Stipend: $100 per week, dispersed every two weeks.
Next internship begins: January 7, 2013
Application deadline:November 2, 2012
The Stewardship and Sustainability Intern will assist the department director, the Stewardship Coordinator, and the Sustainability Coordinator with a variety of tasks related to federal agency regulations and curriculum development. Projects may include the following:
- Research and assist HQ and branches with the preparation of curriculum fact sheets used to teach policy and environmental topics on field courses.
- Prepare articles for the school newspaper.
- Assist in environmental stewardship program work and sustainability initiative.
- Assist in internal website development.
- Assist in efforts to participate in land management planning processes that affect school operations.
- Perform administrative tasks as needed.
Skills Development Opportunities:
The Stewardship and Sustainability Intern will have opportunities to work with other departments and participate in activities in the field. For example:
- Participate in a course issue day.
- Attend environmental stewardship and sustainability-related meetings (e.g., with a land management agency).
Skills Desired: A good candidate for the Stewardship and Sustainability Internship will offer the following skills/attributes:
- Ability to communicate clearly (verbally and in writing).
- Understanding of and passion for the NOLS mission.
- Good analytical capability.
- A strong wilderness ethic.
- A basic knowledge of land management systems and principles.
Contact: Interested individuals should send a resume and cover letter to:
Environmental Stewardship Coordinator
National Outdoor Leadership School
284 Lincoln Street
Lander, WY 82520