JOB TITLE: NOLS Yukon Operations Assistant
REPORTS TO: NOLS Yukon Operations Manager
JOB OBJECTIVES: To assist the Yukon operations manager in setting up courses with all their
equipment and ration needs. Cooking meals, driving, and assisting in other areas of smooth
branch function will also be necessary at times.
QUALIFICATIONS: A pleasant and approachable manner with staff and students as well as a
high degree of motivation, initiative, and strong organizational skills are required. Must be willing
and able to work long hours on a flexible schedule. Should be familiar with Macintosh computer
systems and possess basic Excel spreadsheet and Word processing skills. Experience with NOLS
ration planning, working with expedition equipment, cooking and/or driving commercially are all
assets. Ideal applicants would be 21 years of age or older, possess or be willing to obtain a Class
4 or equivalent license, and be driving violation free in the last five years. Applicant must be a
Canadian citizen, landed immigrant, or possess a travel/holiday visa or work permit enabling legal
employment in Canada.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Supervise students and instructors in course
rationing process, issuing and de-issuing gear and cooking basic meals.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for ~$300 petty cash and will have access to a NOLS
- Participate as an active member of the NOLS Yukon team.
- Assist in setting up the branch and staff accommodations for summer season.
- Maintaining organization and cleanliness of rations room, kitchen, and equipment room.
- Receive food and gear orders, help manage inventory throughout season, and work with
Yukon operations manager to place orders within given budgets.
- Work with Yukon operations manager and instructors to provide courses with group gear
needs and plan rations for courses.
- Supervise instructors and students through different processes on course issue and de-
issue days, including issuing student personal gear, cleaning gear, rationing courses,
cooking meals, preparing road meals, running errands in town, etc.
- Assist in gear repair and general equipment upkeep.
- Assist in closing down ration and equipment areas for winter storage at the end of the
- Drive students and staff to their course areas.
- Perform special projects and other duties, as assigned by the Yukon director or operations
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS
NOLS PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY
Must be at least 21 years old and have a clean driving record in order to obtain NOLS driving
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Yukon, Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada
HOW TO APPLY: Email or fax cover letter and résumé to: Briana Mackay (NOLS Yukon Interim Director)
Address: 12-B Burns Rd, Whitehorse YT, Y1A 4Y9
Please contact Briana Mackay with any questions
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: March 22, 2013. Interviews will be conducted on a
STARTING DATE: June 10, 2013 (until August 31, 2013)