JOB TITLE: NOLS Yukon Operations Assistant
REPORTS TO: NOLS Yukon Program Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: To manage transportation logistics for all courses out of NOLS Yukon. To assist in setting up courses with all their equipment, rations and logistical needs. Cooking meals, driving, and assisting in other areas of smooth operations function will also be necessary at times.
QUALIFICATIONS: A pleasant and approachable manner with staff and students as well as a high degree of motivation, initiative, and strong organizational skills are required. Must be willing and able to work long hours on a flexible schedule. Should be familiar with Macintosh computer systems and possess basic Excel spreadsheet and Word processing skills. Experience with expedition food planning, working with expedition equipment, cooking and/or driving commercially are all assets. Bus driving experience also highly beneficial, as is the ability to drive standard vehicles and/or drive with a trailer. Ideal applicants would be 21 years of age or older, possess or be willing to obtain a Class 4 or equivalent license, and be driving violation free in the last five years. Applicant MUST be a Canadian citizen, landed immigrant, or already possess a travel/holiday visa or work permit enabling legal employment in Canada.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Supervise students and instructors in course rationing process, issuing and de-issuing gear and cooking basic meals. Work with program manager to oversee maintenance and care for our fleet of vehicles (six vehicles and three trailers).
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for ~$300 petty cash and will have access to a NOLS credit card. Will work with NOLS Yukon program manager to upkeep vehicle fleet within a budget.
- Participate as an active member of the NOLS Yukon team.
- Plan vehicle maintenance and use schedule for the operating season.
- Pre-plan logistics for course drives, do or ensure vehicle checks are done before all drives, and manage all logistics for course drop offs and pick ups.
- Drive students and staff to their course areas throughout the season.
- Assist in setting up the campus and staff accommodations for summer season.
- Assist in maintaining organization and cleanliness of rations room, kitchen, and equipment room.
- Work with other NOLS Yukon staff to supervise instructors and students through different processes on course issue and de-issue days, including issuing student personal gear, cleaning gear, rationing courses, cooking meals, preparing road meals, running errands in town, etc.
- Assist in gear repair and general equipment upkeep.
- Assist in closing down ration and equipment areas for winter storage at the end of the season.
- Perform special projects and other duties, as assigned by the Yukon program manager or program supervisors.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to:
Contact Briana Mackay with questions.
Only those applicants that meet Canadian employment requirements, and are selected for an interview will be contract.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Open until filled.
STARTING DATE: May 23rd, 2016
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by completing this survey.