JOB TITLE: NOLS Southwest Rations Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS Southwest Assistant Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: Oversee all aspects of the NOLS Southwest rations department. Provide adequate supplies of nutritious foods for all persons attending courses at NOLS Southwest in a helpful, service-oriented environment.
QUALIFICATIONS: NOLS instructor or alumni is preferred. Familiarity with the philosophy of NOLS field rations and rationing system is preferred. Must possess strong organizational skills, work ethic and initiative. Must be detail oriented, tidy and have the ability to work independently. Must be in good physical condition and able to lift and carry 50 lbs. Excellent public speaking and teaching skills are necessary. Willingness to maintain a flexible schedule, work weekends and/or holidays is necessary. Prior budgetary experience is preferred. Mac computer skills are helpful. Must meet NOLS driving requirements. Must maintain current MVR and be willing to complete NOLS defensive driver training.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Purchase and track food related expense valued at approximately $60,000. Work with assistant director on budget planning.
- 25% - Planning, Ordering & Administrative: Plan field rations using excel-based program. Purchase rations for all NOLS Southwest courses. Develop and maintain positive relations with food vendors. Track ration inventory and ensure that sufficient quantities are on hand to meet course needs. Perform associated bookkeeping duties. Track expenses.
- 20% - Food Preparation: Plan and order some catered in-town meals and perform some bulk ‘light’ cooking/reheating for other in-town meals. Purchase and arrange road meals.
- 20% - Rationing: Supervise students in the preparation of field rations on issue days. Brief and advise field instructors on course rations. Assist students and instructors who have food intolerances or allergies.
- 20% - Maintenance & Cleaning: Maintain a clean, safe and organized rations room. Stock all course food supplies. Maintain food preparation, serving and storage equipment in a safe functional condition.
- 10% - Other Operations Support: Drive courses to and from road-heads. Assist in handling course evacuations. Perform vehicle re-rations. Perform maintenance duties on facilities as needed. Other duties as assigned by assistant director and/or director. (We are a small facility and rely on an employee's skills as applicable.)
- 5% - Education: Teach students about the NOLS rationing process. Teach students about nutrition and ration planning for independent small group travel sections.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
MOTOR VEHICLE CHECK: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license and clean driving history.
NOLS participates in E-Verify.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Southwest, Tucson, Arizona.
WORKING CONDITIONS: This job is an approximate 8-month per year position. The Southwest season runs from late August to early December & early January to early May.
Houseing: Private rustic housing is provided on-site. Kitchen and living areas are communal with other NOLS Southwest in-town staff (and field staff when they are on site). NOLS Southwest provides meals when students are in town.
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit an application (cover letter and resume) via email to Nick Cross firstname.lastname@example.org Please email or call with questions 520-749-0955 (office).
Closing Date for Application:November 15th, 2012
Start Date: January 2nd 2013