JOB TITLE: NOLS Scandinavia Program Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS Pacific Northwest Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: An exciting opportunity to lead the NOLS field presence in Europe. The Scandinavia program manager will oversee the creation, administration and operation of a NOLS program in Scandinavia; ensure that NOLS Scandinavia is furthering the mission and strategic goals of NOLS; participate as an effective representative to the public, including local community, government officials, outfitters and business people, institutions and organizations within Norway and Sweden
QUALIFICATIONS: Practical business or management background is necessary. This position requires an understanding of overall NOLS operations and philosophy coupled with an ability to creatively adapt these to a European environment. Prior management/program supervisor experience, with a strong background in sea kayaking programs is preferred. Necessary skills include self-motivation, problem solving and the ability to plan and prioritize time and projects for self and others. Willingness to maintain a flexible schedule and to work on weekends and/or holidays, as needed, is essential. Attention to detail, organizational skills and fiscal/budgetary responsibility are essential, as are excellent written and verbal communication skills. Effective Swedish and/or Norwegian and English oral and written language skills are strongly preferred. Macintosh OSX, Microsoft Office and Quicken computer skills are preferred.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Lead and supervise 10-14 faculty and up to four in-town staff. Must lay the groundwork for an effective business/operational plan and philosophy that supports the NOLS strategic goals, mission, and values. Must ensure the safety of self and staff. Plan and coordinate all programmatic duties (curriculum, briefing, debriefing, student briefing and debriefing, follow-up paperwork, revising NAFP’s for Scandinavia location, etc.) and build the operating calendar with the Pacific Northwest director. Drive the successful incorporation of NOLS in Sweden prior to summer 2013.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Manage a budget of approximately $275,000 USD, as well as assets and inventories; responsible as a NOLS credit card holder; acts as the legal representative of NOLS in Scandinavia; responsible for making agreements and signing contracts with local service providers including private services, legal and accounting professional services on NOLS behalf.
• Oversee daily operations and supervision of staff
• Manage day-to-day budget and finances
• Take all the steps necessary to ensure that we can operate legally as an entity in Scandinavia
• Work with admissions and marketing to produce all pre-course paperwork
• Plan routes, organize transportation, and work with local contacts
• Create all course paperwork, briefing outlines, and emergency info
• May be required to act as fill-in field instructor due to injury/illness and possible unavailability of field staff. Must maintain active instructor status.
• Scout for appropriate locations in Scandinavia to run expanded programming
• Recruit prospective European students, interns and IC applicants
• Maintain regular correspondence with appropriate NOLS Pacific Northwest and headquarters staff both via email, phone, and in person
• Must meet NOLS driving requirements and have current MVR
HOW TO APPLY: email cover letter and résumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Deadline: October 25, 2012
Desired Start Date : December 3, 2012
E-VERIFY:NOLS participates in E-verify.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.