JOB TITLE: NOLS Pacific Northwest Outfitting Assistant (Summer)
REPORTS TO: NOLS Pacific Northwest Outfitting Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Facilitate student and instructor preparation for NOLS Pacific Northwest courses. Inspect, maintain and repair clothing and equipment used by students and instructors. Provide instruction and training in equipment maintenance and repair. Facilitate routine issue and de-issue of courses.
QUALIFICATIONS: NOLS graduate or comparable level of outdoor program experience preferred. Excellent customer service and communication skills are a must. Having attention to detail and an ability to thoroughly complete tasks is paramount. Experience with POSIM (Point of Sales Administration and Inventory Management) software is helpful. Must be at least 21 years old and have a clean driving record in order to obtain NOLS driving endorsement. A willingness to live in a small community and work flexible and irregular hours is important.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Supervise students during the issue and de-issue process. Explain and demonstrate proper use and care of equipment when outfitting students and instructors.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for upkeep, maintenance, and repair of equipment and facilities.
- Check, clean, repair, and maintain outfitting equipment: packs, tents, mountaineering gear, paddling and sailing gear, boats, and stoves. Routinely clean and maintain the outfitting area to high professional standards.
- Assist in the issue and de-issue of students, instructors, and in-town staff. Provide assistance to instructors with pre-course preparation and post-course de-issue.
- Provide instruction and training in equipment repair and maintenance for students, instructors, and in-town staff.
- Administer sales transactions for students and instructors.
- Maintain adequate stock by monitoring inventory in the issue room for efficient outfitting of NOLS courses.
- Maintain an organized system of material re-use/recycling, including paper, cardboard, and plastic bags.
- Perform transportation tasks such as resupplies, trailhead drop-offs, and pick-ups of students and instructors. Drive in a safe, defensive, and law-abiding manner while performing these operational logistics.
- Help in facility maintenance and vehicle cleaning when needed.
- Assist the outfitting manager and operations manager with additional projects that may arise.
- Be familiar with branch-wide and role-specific practices and expectations regarding sustainability, as detailed in the NOLS Pacific Northwest Sustainability Manual.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
NOLS PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Pacific Northwest, Conway, Washington
HOW TO APPLY:
Email cover letter and résumé to:
John Harnetiaux, NOLS Pacific Northwest Operations Manager
Phone: (360) 445-6657
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: February 15, 2013.
DATES OF POSITION: May 20-August 30, 2013