JOB TITLE: NOLS Pacific Northwest Food Services Assistant
REPORTS TO: NOLS Pacific Northwest Kitchen Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: Assist in the planning, food ordering, and preparation of meals and field rations for NOLS students and staff. Maintain a high standard of sanitation and organization in the kitchen and rations departments. Provide logistical support as assigned. Further NOLS’ sustainability initiative through the sourcing and preparation of healthy, sustainable foods, and reducing waste.
QUALIFICATIONS: Hard working, detail-oriented, and committed person with an understanding of NOLS’ course needs. Prior experience cooking for large groups is preferred. Desire to learn about healthy cooking and bulk rationing is paramount. Must be able to work safely and efficiently without direct supervision. A willingness to work flexible and sometimes irregular hours is important. Must be at least 21 years old and have a clean driving record in order to obtain NOLS driving endorsement. An ability to live and work in a small community is necessary.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Direct oversight and management of composting system and staff commons food program. Self-supervision; supervise students, in-town staff, and field staff with meal and rations preparation and cleanup duties. Must be able to occasionally act as kitchen or rations department supervisor as needed.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Work directly with the kitchen and rations managers to develop and adhere to the departmental budgets. Attention to proper care, cleaning, and maintenance of the kitchen and rations facility and equipment.
- Assist with planning, ordering, and preparation of meals for students and staff on issue and de-issue days.
- Help supervise instructors and students throughout rationing process on course issue days.
- Assist with planning, ordering, and preparation of road meals and rations resupplies for courses.
- Oversee and actively manage the composting system, engaging students and staff when appropriate.
- Oversee and actively manage commons food program.
- Maintain a sanitary and organized kitchen and rations room facility, thoroughly cleaning all supplies, surfaces, appliances, fixtures, and floors as needed.
- Assist in minimizing food and material waste through appropriate planning.
- Maintain an organized and efficient system of waste disposal—recycling, composting, and fluid waste.
- Maintain a high level of communication with fellow employees, students, instructors, and supervisors.
- Help maintain relationships with food suppliers; prioritize local, sustainable food sources when possible.
- Assist with supervision of individual volunteers in light kitchen and rations preparation and cleanup duties.
- Perform transportation tasks such as resupplies, trail head drop-offs, and pick-ups of students and instructors.
- Be familiar with branch wide and role-specific practices and expectations regarding sustainability, as detailed in the NOLS Pacific Northwest Sustainability Manual.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required for all NOLS employees.
NOLS PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Pacific Northwest, Conway, Washington
HOW TO APPLY:
Email cover letter and résumé to:
John Harnetiaux, NOLS Pacific Northwest Operations Manager
Phone: (360) 445-6657
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS:
February 15, 2013.
DATES OF POSITION: May 30-August 30, 2013