JOB TITLE: NOLS Patagonia Equipment Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS Patagonia Director or Assistant Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: The NOLS Patagonia equipment manager facilitates student and instructor gear preparation for NOLS Patagonia courses. The Patagonia equipment manager oversees all aspects of the branch's equipment process including: planning for the branch's equipment needs, managing the equipment budget, purchasing gear in the US and in Chile, overseeing the shipment process in coordination with HQ, issuing and de-issuing gear to staff and students, organizing the issue room, creating and implementing a merchandising strategy, and maintaining gear. The NOLS Patagonia equipment room supports sea kayaking, rock climbing, hiking and mountaineering expeditions.
QUALIFICATIONS: The NOLS Patagonia equipment manager must be very organized, able to work independently and be attentive to detail. Experience in outfitting groups for extended expeditions is desired. Experience using and repairing field equipment is required. Computer facility with proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Mail is necessary. Advanced-level English, both written and spoken, is expected, as well as intermediate Spanish. Dedication to and interest in cross-cultural communication is essential. Some supervision experience will aid in success in this position. Ability to work flexible hours is required, including some weekends and holidays. Energy to invest in living in a small community in a remote location and working in a multi-cultural environment is critical.
LEADERSHIP AND/OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Train and supervise Chilean equipment assistant manager and outfitting assistant, as well as interns and volunteers including North American interns and Chilean students. Maintain an organized and efficient outfitting system including: inventory and budget tracking, student outfitting charges and equipment ordering. Brief and supervise field staff in course preparation. Supervise students in orderly outfitting procedures on issue and de-issue days. Instruct students and field staff in proper use and care of equipment. Maintain issue room and storage areas in a safe, clean and orderly state. Travel to remote course transitions to supervise equipment processes. Occasional driving duties.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Track inventory and maintain accurate student equipment issue sheets and handle all student equipment billing to generate annual revenues of over $165,000. Budget equipment purchases for approximately $140,000 annually.
- Create a long-term purchasing strategy that includes equipment rotation and an annual equipment sale.
- Maintain adequate stock in the issue room for efficient outfitting of NOLS courses.
- Update and maintain the equipment manual to reflect current standard operating procedures.
- Plan, organize, and supervise students and field staff during briefing, issue and de-issue days.
- Maintain equipment issue sheets and handle all aspects of student equipment charges.
- Maintain equipment in a safe functional condition.
- Provide instruction and training in equipment repair and maintenance for staff, students, and instructors.
- Select merchandise, and track merchandise and outfitting sales throughout the year.
- Perform inventories at the end of each season.
- Organize a "yard sale" open to the general public to turnover gear.
- Maintain issue room and storage areas in safe, clean and orderly state.
- Other duties as assigned by director. We are a small branch and rely on employees' skills as applicable.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE CHECK: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver's license. Must have a clean driving history and able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Patagonia, Coyhaique, Chile
POSITION DATES: August 19, 2013 thru April 30, 2014
HOW TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com before June 30, 2013. Qualified applicants will be considered upon receipt of materials.