JOB TITLE: NOLS Patagonia Equipment Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS Patagonia Operations Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: The NOLS Patagonia equipment manager facilitates student and instructor gear preparation for NOLS Patagonia courses. The Patagonia equipment manager oversees all aspects of the branch's equipment process including: planning for equipment needs, managing the equipment budget, purchasing gear in the U.S. and in Chile, overseeing the shipment process in coordination with NOLS headquarters, issuing and de-issuing gear to staff and students, organizing the issue room, creating and implementing a merchandising strategy, maintaining gear and overseeing NOLS Wilderness Medicine equipment. The NOLS Patagonia equipment room supports sea kayaking, rock climbing, hiking and mountaineering expeditions.
QUALIFICATIONS: The NOLS Patagonia equipment manager must be very organized, able to work independently and be attentive to detail. Experience in outfitting groups for extended expeditions is desired. Experience using and repairing field equipment is required. Computer facility with proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Google Mail is necessary. Advanced-level English, both written and spoken, is expected, as well as intermediate Spanish. Dedication to and interest in cross-cultural communication is essential. Some supervision experience will aid in success in this position. Ability to work flexible hours is required, including weekends and holidays. Energy to invest in living in a small community in a remote location and working in a multi-cultural environment is critical.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Train and supervise Chilean equipment assistant manager and outfitting assistant, as well as interns and volunteers including North American interns and Chilean students. Maintain an organized and efficient outfitting system including: inventory and budget tracking, use of POSIM system, student outfitting charges and equipment ordering. Brief and supervise field staff in course preparation. Supervise students in orderly outfitting procedures on issue and de-issue days. Instruct students and field staff in proper use and care of equipment. Maintain issue room and storage areas in a safe, clean and orderly state. Travel to remote course transitions to supervise equipment processes. Occasional driving duties.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Track inventory and maintain accurate student equipment issue sheets and handle all student equipment billing to generate annual revenues of over $200,000. Budget equipment purchases for approximately $200,000 annually.
- Create a long-term purchasing strategy that includes equipment rotation and an annual equipment sale.
- Maintain adequate stock in the issue room for efficient outfitting of NOLS courses.
- Update and maintain the equipment manual to reflect current standard operating procedures.
- Plan, organize, and supervise students and field staff during briefing, issue and de-issue days.
- Maintain equipment issue sheets and handle all aspects of student equipment charges.
- Maintain equipment in a safe functional condition.
- Provide instruction and training in equipment repair and maintenance for staff, students, and instructors.
- Select merchandise, and track merchandise and outfitting sales throughout the year.
- Perform inventories at the end of each season.
- Use of POSIM system to track equipment.
- Keep an organized and well stocked map room.
- Organize a "yard sale" open to the general public to turn over gear.
- Maintain issue room and storage areas in safe, clean and orderly state.
- Other duties as assigned by director. We are a small campus and rely on employees' skills as applicable.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Patagonia, Coyhaique Chile
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to:
Phone: 56 67 2240040
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: June 3, 2016
STARTING DATE: Contract starts August 16, 2016 (in Chile) through May 12, 2017
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by completing this survey.