JOB TITLE: NOLS Northeast Operations Assistant
REPORTS TO: NOLS Northeast Operations Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: This entry- level position provides an opportunity to learn and understand NOLS branch operations as a whole, and specifically the operations of a new operating location.
Enthusiasm for creating and supporting a positive campus culture. Interest and experience in the Adirondacks is preferred. Effective communication, flexibility, tolerance for adversity and excellent expedition behavior are all essential components for working at NOLS Northeast.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISARY DUTIES: Oversee and assist with the issue and de-issue process. Explain and demonstrate proper use and care of equipment when outfitting students and instructors. Assist in the preparation and organization of field rations. Collaborate with and support the operations manager and program manager.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Manage and budget food and gear related expenses. Maintain, repair, and inventory equipment. Responsible for the accounting of credit card and petty cash expenses on a regular basis.
- Driving responsibilities include airport pick-ups, resupplies, trailhead drop-offs and pick-ups of instructors and students.
- Facilitate the issue and de-issue of students and instructors.
- Check, clean, repair, and maintain outfitting equipment: packs, tents, and stoves. Routinely clean and maintain the outfitting area to high professional standards.
- Organize and maintain systems of operations in the gear room.
- Complete student cash receipt vouchers.
- Order in-town meals and perform bulk cooking/reheating for other in-town meals. Purchase and arrange road meals.
- Assist operations manager in the planning and purchasing of field rations for all NOLS Northeast courses.
- Help with facility maintenance of all areas utilized by NOLS Northeast, including staff housing.
- Prepare for student arrivals and other summer marketing events.
- Assist the program manager with administrative work and other tasks as needed.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK:
A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Northeast, located in Paul Smiths, NY in the heart of the Adirondacks and St. Regis Canoe Wilderness. Approximately 15 miles from Saranac Lake, NY and 20 miles from Lake Placid, NY.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume as one pdf attachment to:
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS:
February 16th, 2015
STARTING DATE: June 1st, 2015