JOB TITLE: NOLS Northeast Operations Assistant
REPORTS TO: NOLS Northeast Program Manager
JOB OBJECTIVE: This entry- level position provides an opportunity to learn and understand
NOLS branch operations as a whole, and specifically the operations of a new operating location.
QUALIFICATIONS: Enthusiasm for creating and supporting a positive branch culture. Interest
and experience in the Adirondacks is preferred. Effective communication, flexibility, tolerance for
adversity and excellent expedition behavior are all essential components for working at NOLS
LEADERSHIP AND/OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Facilitate and supervise the issue and de-
issue process. Explain and demonstrate proper use and care of equipment when outfitting
students and instructors. Prepare, organize, purchase, and bag field rations.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Purchase and track food and gear related expenses.
Responsible for the maintenance and repair of equipment.
- Driving responsibilities include resupplies, trailhead drop-offs and pick-up of instructors
- Assist in the issue and de-issue of students and instructors.
- Check, clean, repair, and maintain outfitting equipment: packs, tents,
stoves. Routinely clean and maintain the outfitting area to high professional standards.
- Plan and order some catered in-town meals and perform some bulk cooking/reheating
for other in-town meals. Purchase and arrange road meals.
- Assist in the planning and purchasing of field rations for all NOLS Northeast courses.
- Prepare for student arrivals and other summer marketing events.
- Assist the program manager with administrative work and other tasks as needed.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS
NOLS PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY
MOTOR VEHICLE CHECK: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start
date and possess a valid driver’s license and clean driving history.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS Northeast, located in Paul Smiths, NY in the heart of the
Adirondacks and St. Regis Canoe Wilderness. Approximately 15 miles from Saranac Lake, NY
and 20 miles from Lake Placid, NY. Housing is not available at this point in time.
HOW TO APPLY: Mail, e-mail or fax cover letter and résumé to:
Lindsay Yost, NOLS Northeast Program Manager
NOLS Rocky Mountain
502 Lincoln St.
Lander, WY 82520
(307) 332-1431 Fax
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: April 1, 2013
DATES OF POSITION: June 10 through August 16, 2013