JOB TITLE: Custom Education Account Manager
REPORTS TO: Custom Education Assistant Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: The Custom Education (formerly NOLS Professional Training) Account Manager will cultivate and manage a diverse portfolio of long-term client relationships with organizations and individuals outside of NOLS to advance the school’s mission. The Account Manager will work with educational partners to create customized experiences and design, contract, and oversee programming for these clients. This individual will also teach some Custom Education courses, and/or train and supervise the faculty teaching the courses.
- Passion for NOLS mission and excitement for fulfilling it in creative ways
- Ability to energetically and accurately represent NOLS to a variety of constituents including current or prospective clients, faculty, families, students, alumni, and staff
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and oral and written communication skills
- Ability to build rapport quickly in person as well as through phone conversation and personal correspondence with a wide audience
- Ability to assess clients’ desired outcomes and to suggest NOLS-delivered solutions in a dynamic manner
- Thorough knowledge of NOLS core curriculum and familiarity with logistics at various NOLS campuses
- Initiative, flexibility, and tolerance for adversity and uncertainty
- Briefing and debriefing skills for instructors and clients
- Ability to balance being a member of a fast-paced, dynamic team while also remaining self-directed, seeking feedback, articulating needs, and maintaining a high-degree of ownership and responsibility
- NOLS instructor (strongly preferred)
- NOLS management and/or senior field experience (strongly preferred)
- Well-versed in practicing and teaching the NOLS leadership model
- Project management experience
- Experience with adult students, government entities, corporate or non-profit organizations, and/or schools
- Classroom teaching and public speaking skills
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Manages a client portfolio, requiring personal visits and ongoing attention to nurture these relationships. Establishes collaborative working relationships within Custom Ed and NOLS to increase understanding of and support for Custom Ed programs. Understands and stays current on school-wide issues. Supervises instructors teaching classroom-based programs. May also directly supervise support staff for remote programs.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Negotiate contracts with outside organizations for educational programming. Responsible for staying within budget guidelines. Typical contracts range from $15,000 to $300,000. Tracks travel expenses.
RESPONSIBILITIES: (Percentages approximate, to be determined with person hired):
- Pursue new opportunities with interested potential clients and opportunities for expanding relationships with existing clients with the goal of providing exceptional learning experiences for Custom Ed students and expanding NOLS’ reach. Cultivate long-term client relationships with current and prospective clients. Design course curriculum in one or more NOLS core curriculum areas. Ensures necessary tracking and follow up. This account manager may take primary responsibility for our relationship with wildland firefighters. (50%)
- Work with a customer service team of two to three Custom Ed employees to positively manage course logistics with NOLS campuses and outside sponsors. (15%)
- Support NOLS Custom Ed courses based at NOLS campuses by providing client orientations for these programs and participate in debriefing process with intent of communicating outcomes directly with client. Brief and debrief classroom-based courses followed by writing staff performance evaluations. Brief and debrief remote location field-based courses. (10%)
- Teach NOLS Custom Ed field- and classroom-based programs as appropriate, particularly those connected to his/her clients. Visit one to three clients per year. May travel to manage large and/or remote programs. (10-15%)
- Cultivate strong networks externally and internally (to include NOLS Staffing and NOLS campuses). (5%)
- Fulfill other responsibilities as assigned, which may include long-term and strategic projects. (5-10%)
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE RECORD: Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS World Headquarters in Lander, Wyoming.
HOW TO APPLY:
Direct questions to:
Send cover letter and résumé to:
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: November 8, 2016 by 4 p.m. Some interviews will occur later that week.
STARTING DATE: Negotiable. Ideally candidate would start in December.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.