REQUIRED: This position is only open to persons who are already either a citizen or permanent resident of Australia OR a citizen of New Zealand. Alternatively if you hold another passport you may qualify for this position by holding a valid Australian Work /Holiday visa (click here for details).
JOB TITLE: NOLS Australia Program Supervisor
REPORTS TO: NOLS Australia Program Manager / Australasia Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: Supervise faculty by administering curriculum, providing route information, overseeing risk management practices, and documenting instructor performance. The program supervisor is an integral part of the program team whose objective is to ensure that every NOLS Australia student and instructor has a rewarding and successful experience.
QUALIFICATIONS: Knowledge of the NOLS mission, curriculum, and operations is vital. NOLS instructor required. Knowledge of Australia operations and operating areas is desirable. The ability to supervise multiple course types is preferred; Australia skill types include wilderness, sea kayaking, and canoeing. This position demands excellent oral and written communication skills, problem-solving and team-building skills, staff management experience, ability to work independently and a willingness to work flexible and irregular hours. Computer experience with database and word processing applications is required.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES:
In coordination with all NOLS Australia in-town staff, supervise field instructors in the areas of course logistics, curriculum, risk management, performance and administration. Facilitate communication between NOLS administration and faculty.
- Supervise NOLS Australia courses in multiple skill areas.
- Review and organize all course related paperwork. Maintain curriculum files, library and other resource materials.
- Provide field staff with clear and concise briefings, debriefings and timely evaluations. Actively guide staff in professional development.
- Facilitate challenging situations including student behavioral issues, injuries/illnesses and staff performance concerns.
- Coordinate with NOLS headquarters to ensure that administrative tasks are completed in a timely manner.
- Develop curriculum and resources for NOLS Australia field programs.
- Network with peers to exchange ideas and support of school-wide programs.
- Maintain awareness of standards used by Australia professional outdoor organizations.
- Share evacuation coordinator duties and manage evacuee's in-town.
- Regularly assist with course transportation, general cleaning, outfitting and vehicle preparation; occasionally assist with course rationing, meal preparation, and maintenance as necessary to maintain facilities and high caliber student/instructor service. Must be willing to work in both program and operations roles to ensure a high level of branch service.
- Contribute to NOLS publications with annual articles addressing local or school-wide issues.
- Participate in the planning of the following year's course routes.
- May be required to act as fill-in field instructor due to injury/illness and possible unavailability of field staff. Must maintain active instructor status.
- Share in the responsibilities of commons/branch living. Must role model excellent in-town expedition behavior.
- Other duties as required or assigned.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for disbursement of funds to pay for NOLS Australia course expenses. The position will have signature authority on NOLS Australia accounts and access to petty cash.
Broome, Western Australia
2/17/14 – 8/31/14
HOW TO APPLY:
Email cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org and use the following format in the subject line: Last Name_First Name_Country_Status (i.e. Knowles_Darcy_AUS_Citizen -or- Knowles_Darcy_USA_Work/Holiday).
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS:
15th November 2013
DECISION DATE FOR POSITION:
29th November 2013
START DATE OF POSITION:
17th February 2014
MOTOR VEHICLE CHECK:
Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver's license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK:
A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.