REQUIRED: This position is only open to persons who are already either a citizen or permanent resident of Australia OR a citizen of New Zealand.
JOB TITLE: NOLS Australia Program Manager
REPORTS TO: NOLS Australasia Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: Oversee the implementation of all course operations in accord with the NOLS Australia vision and school-wide strategic goals. Coordinate with director to ensure NOLS program quality and promote student, field and in-town staff satisfaction. Collaborate with NOLS staff and Australian education, government, and finance agencies to ensure NOLS Australia success.
QUALIFICATIONS: This position requires an understanding of overall school operations and philosophy coupled with an ability to creatively adapt these to an international environment. Also required is a demonstrated ability to manage outdoor program operations with autonomy. Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
Post demands a creative, energetic person with strong organizational skills who is self-motivated as well as adaptable and patient. Strong problem solving skills, flexibility, computer knowledge and good time management are essential. Practical experience with NOLS Australia operations is helpful.
A good working knowledge of the geography of the Kimberley, Australian politics, culture and regional issues is very useful. NOLS instructor certification is preferred, but not required. Experience in staff management and working with budgets preferred. Willingness to maintain a flexible schedule, working weekends and/or holidays is essential.
A clean Australian drivers license, preferably with off-road and commercial vehicle experience, is desired. Two-year commitment preferred.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES:
Responsible for all aspects of the NOLS Australia program including land management, risk management and will oversee the following operations departments: equipment, transportation, rations and kitchen. Oversee the functions of various NOLS Australia support staff as well as the living and working environment at NOLS Australia. Will assist the program team as required. Will help represent NOLS to officials, businesses, residents, and friends.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Responsible for operational department budgets. Will have access to petty cash, credit card and check signing privileges, and will be responsible for their appropriate use. Collects Australian student equipment payments, and reconciles CRV summaries. Works with director on operations budget planning, and future equipment and property asset needs.
WORKING CONDITIONS: This is an eight-month position with six months per year spent in Broome, Western Australia (from late February to late August). Housing is included. Possible fieldwork, if scheduling permits. The remaining months can be shared between Australia, New Zealand or the USA if desired and agreed to by director. For first season only, persons with limited or no prior NOLS background will start January 13, 2014 for training and participation as a student on a NOLS field course.
40% Program Management
- Assume overall responsibility for running NOLS Australia program
- Create the NOLS Australia vision incorporating the current NOLS Strategic Goals
- Hire, supervise, train and develop staff
- Manage budgets pre-determined with director
- Create a community atmosphere and enthusiasm to work towards common goals
- Responsible for risk management, curriculum and land use access in Australia
- Assist with and sign documents on director's behalf; file official government paperwork
- Work with NOLS headquarters departments on staffing, course mix, and admissions
- Maintain and develop good and appropriate relationships within the local Broome and wider Australian community
- Assist with local marketing efforts and the increase of Australian students
- Keep abreast of Australian Outdoor Industry standards and regulations and represent NOLS as required within the industry and at conferences.
- Supervise and train in-town staff
- Obtain land use permits and permission from other land owners
- Book course logistics providers i.e. planes, buses, helicopter, boats, camping
- Assist with future program schedules, and in-town staffing needs
- Coordinate vehicle and other gear usages for staff
- Coordinate the collection of staff house, vehicle and meal fees
- Act as evacuation coordinator when needed
- Assist with re-supplies drives and other logistical tasks
25% Supervise the program, equipment, rations, kitchen and transportation departments:
- Supervise, hire and train logistics and program staff
- Maintain vehicles, trailers and assist with driver training.
- Purchase program, equipment, rations and other items within budget
- Maintain inventory and run end-of-season repairs and inventory
10% Program supervisor and other tasks as needed:
- Assist with briefings and debriefings of instructors
- Assist with student evacuation management and write up of reports in incident
- Assist with base cleanups and other chores
- Assist with other tasks as needed
HOW TO APPLY: Email cover letter and resume to:
firstname.lastname@example.org and use the following format in the subject line: Last Name_First Name_Country_Status (i.e. Knowles_Darcy_AUS_Citizen)
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 15th November 2013
DECISION DATE FOR POSITION: 29th November 2013
START DATE OF POSITION: 13th January 2014 or 3rd February 2014 – depending on candidate
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-verify.
MOTOR VEHICLE CHECK: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver's license. Must have a clean driving history and be able to meet the criteria for NOLS vehicle insurance coverage.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.