NOLS E-mail List Services Policies and Guidelines
Anyone can join the lists, provided they respect the community and abide by the guidelines:
- Respect. These lists area based on respect, and attacks on individuals are not tolerated.
- Privacy. Please do not forward messages or posts to non-list members without permission from the author unless the message is obviously an announcement intended to be forwarded.
- Flames. Disagreement and debate are acceptable, but flames are not. Flame wars are loosely defined as that which denigrates to personal attacks and insulting language... however, because everyone has differing levels of what is polite, a lot of slack needs to be cut in this area. What is a flame to you might just be a discussion to another. In general, you should never say anything to anyone online that you wouldn't say to their face.
- Free speech. Part of a supportive environment is the ability for people of differing opinions to feel safe in expressing them. Please support and respect the right of free speech. This includes opinions that might offend or bother you. As long as an opinion is expressed without flaming (see above), it is valid.
- NO Spamming. Please do not abuse the list by posting inappropriate advertisements or announcements about a particular event, service, or issue that does not relate to the list charter or are blatantly commercial in nature. Even a good cause, if it does not relate to the list charter, is still a spam. For our purposes, spam is not considered free speech. Please do not forward virus alerts. Many are hoaxes and the alert itself is the virus.
- Dealing with problems. Members are encouraged to email the member involved should conflict arise, and not flame or otherwise attack someone on the list regarding their behavior. Should you feel that someone is way of line, please contact the list mom.
- Please have a stable email account. If your mail bounces frequently, the list mom will ask you to find a way to resolve the problem. If mail continues to bounce after you've been warned, your subscription will be canceled.
REMEMBER: Basic netiquette rules always apply!
Return to Alumni List Services